Tennis performs intimate set at Crescent

Tennis performs at Crescent Ballroom, Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014 in Phoenix.

Tennis performs at Crescent Ballroom, Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014 in downtown Phoenix. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Tennis performs at Crescent Ballroom, Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014 in downtown Phoenix. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Denver-based band Tennis, while on tour for a new release, “Ritual in Repeat,” took the Crescent Ballroom by storm Oct. 29 with an intimate show that felt like the audience was present in the recording studio.

Even after a potentially disastrous disruption due to laryngitis, however, the band couldn’t have sounded clearer.

On stage prior to Tennis’s performance was touring partner Pure Bathing Culture, a Portland-based band that comfortably owned the stage throughout the 45-minute set. Not only were the members distinctly talented in their own right, but the opener acted as a perfect mirror for what would soon follow: a set led by a female vocalist with a sweet, vanilla-like voice.

Before turning the stage over to the headliner, however, lead singer Sarah Versprille paused for a moment to express her appreciation while touring with Tennis.

“We’ve been on (tour) since mid-September, and it’s coming to an end soon now, which is really sad,” she said. “I shouldn’t even say that out loud.”

Despite this bittersweet feeling, Versprille maintained composure as she prepared the audience with dream-like tunes, so that by the time Tennis took the stage, the audience was prepared for another hour of new-age nostalgia. And boy, did that hour deliver.

A fan photographs Pure Bathing Culture as they open for Tennis, Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014 at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix. (Photo by Ben Moffat) A fan photographs Pure Bathing Culture as they open for Tennis, Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014 at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

The moment lead singer Alaina Moore first opened her mouth, the Crescent Ballroom seemed to be transported to another era. Listening to Tennis live is like listening to an early ‘70s classic not unlike the band’s primary inspiration, Shuggie Otis, recreated with Moore’s light, feminine voice.

Despite being the primary focus, however, Moore is not the only artist behind the concept of this band. While on tour, Tennis consists of three other talented individuals, one of whom is Moore’s husband, guitarist Patrick Riley.

On stage, the pair defines what it means to be a power couple as they intuitively work together to compose the band’s melodic sound. At one point, Riley could be seen smiling as the crowd cheered Moore after a particularly impressive note.

“(Moore) grew up in a church, which tried to restrain her as a vocalist,” Riley said prior to the show. “I think it’s been a big push (and) pull with growing up in that very religious upbringing where there are a lot of confines and restrictions as (opposed) to how today, there are no confines and she can express herself in whatever way she wants.”

Following four songs selected directly from “Ritual in Repeat” and a temporary silence, Moore stepped away from her keyboard to reveal the next chapter of the set: songs from the band’s two previous albums.

“Let’s get real with this,” she said as she grabbed her microphone and began “Pigeon,” the first of many sing-along hits.

In this moment, the stark difference between the band’s old and new albums became immediately apparent. Although the music still carries that unmistakable Tennis sound, “Ritual in Repeat” explores many newfound intricacies, a difference Moore and Riley recognized themselves while writing the album.

“(Ritual in Repeat) took two years to write and we were trying to tackle these new emotions and new issues,” Riley said. “I’d say this is the first time we made an album that is meant to be heard by others and mean something.”

The result is something that is near hypnotizing to watch on stage. The members own their music in a way so dynamic that not a beat is missed from the album. If I hadn’t been standing five feet in front of stage, I would have assumed that this live material had been used in a studio session.

This raw talent is exemplified by Riley’s ability to play guitar, which was especially notable as he played “I’m Calling,” a song which explores repetitive guitar riffs for a complex, yet soothing effect.

“I think our favorite (song) to perform is ‘I’m Calling,’ because it’s one of the hardest songs to perform live,” he said. “We all have to be precise and perfect, and Alaina has a really loose vocal purpose on that song … so it’s really fun to get into and let the song take off.”

Throughout this track as well as the ones that followed, Moore’s voice maintained the sweetness of a lullaby; however, that is not to say that her range is limited. Moore took on the role of not only a lead singer, but also a back-up by seamlessly incorporating “oh’s” and “ah’s” without missing a breath.

Only after playing three songs back to back did the band pause to make a special dedication: “This one goes out to Grandma Jan, a.k.a. the Silver Bullet,” Moore said, which was followed by a small cheer from the left side of the stage.

This exclamation came from the members of Riley’s family, including Grandma Jan herself, who attended the night’s show. The family’s presence has become the norm when Riley, an Arizona native, visits home.

Perhaps it was for this reason that the band decided to do what they said was “something different” during the encore. Rather than playing their new track “Bad Girls” the way it had been recorded on the album, Moore introduced the song as something special. “We’re gonna play this one the way it was written … just me and Pat.”

What resulted was the most intimate number of the night. With a single spotlight to set the tone, Moore and Riley shared a moment on stage which exemplified the introspection it took for the couple to write “Ritual in Repeat,” their proudest accomplishment yet.The rawness of Moore’s near-a capella voice moved the audience to sing along as she professed “if it were physical it would show; if it were spiritual I would know.”

The couple finished the song grinning at each other as Moore then promised the audience one last song to “end on a happy note,” leading into “Marathon,” the hit which earned them the initial popularity they experience today.

Because, honestly, who could possibly be sad in Coconut Grove?

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×