Valley's fourth Postino location opens on College Avenue

[slideshow_deploy id='152042']

Postino Annex on College Avenue will open on Oct. 1. But the plans were never that solid, as the renowned Phonecian brand came to Tempe seemingly by accident.

Lauren Bailey, a co-owner of Upward Projects, the company that owns Postino, said a freak storm in March 2013 kept her and co-owner Craig DeMarco from going to Denver.

That day, they paid a visit to their architect in the building that houses Royal Coffee Bar and Mad Hatter, and their architect told them about the empty Art Annex looking for a tenant just one block away.

Postino's expansion into Tempe began just like that. The two, along with co-owners Kris DeMarco and Wyatt Bailey own Upward Projects and hold a host of brands spread throughout the Valley.

"Everything we’ve done had a twist like that," Craig DeMarco said. "The universe opened up and we were tuned in enough to figure it out, so it's a little more of a spiritual thing. (The restaurant) has a better energy because of that."

The two expressed their thanks that they did not end up in the same building as Panda Express, just down College.

"We would have been like, 'Who are we and what happened to us,'" Bailey said. "I think also that restaurants create a sense of community space, and the University really saw that and saw that need for here."

The reliance on restored buildings has been a part of Postino's brand since its first store in Arcadia.

"I think this building was really special to (ASU) too, and it has this historic nature about it, so they were very careful what and who they put in here," DeMarco said. "Our history of restoring older buildings really helped us get it, because they wanted it to be a really special spot. ... It’s never been a new building or had a clean vanilla shell, and with that comes challenges."

The outside of the building is exposed red brick dating to the building's construction in the 1950s. Putting in Postino's signature windows proved to be a challenge.

"And always red brick is challenging because it ages differently than other surfaces so getting the paint off of it is always a challenge," Bailey said. "We used all different things — walnut shells, baking soda, different things to get the paint off without taking the brick and just crumbling it."

The new restaurant has a special personal history for Bailey, who spent time in the Art Annex as an ASU art major.

DeMarco also expressed interest in the commitment to the local arts scene that he was a part of in the '80s.

As he held up two pictures, one of the Gin Blossoms and one of Dead Hot Workshop, DeMarco's commitment to the ASU of yore was apparent.

The Mill Avenue to College Avenue block has come a long way since the '80s. The revitalization of the area comes with some major cultural shifts.

The University was able to give Postino a waiver so it could sell beer and wine, Bailey said.

"As much as we love the alcohol service, we are a family-type restaurant, so that was really critical for us," DeMarco said. "And to be a part of the improvement of not only our building, but the whole surrounding area."

The distinctly Phoenician brand wants to bring that feeling to Tempe.

"I think something unique to Tempe that we don’t really feel like is down here yet is for one being in a historic building and two getting a little piece of the vibe that we try to create," Bailey said.

The restaurant features the largest patio at any Postino location, encouraging people to relax, Bailey said.

On the inside, there's pieces from Modern Manor, a store on 7th Street and Camelback, as well as woodworking by DB Woodworks. There are also pieces from Craigslist and Ebay.

The attention to detail in the furnishings shows in the food. The menu includes appetizers, such as a $13 Pub Board (pretzels, Sierra Nevada mustard, aged cheddar, chorizo, Spanish corn nuts, pickles and bread).

MJ Coe, a prominent downtown baker, created Postino's signature ciabatta, DeMarco said.

Also included are signature bruschetta for $14. There are 12 different types of bruschetta, and guests choose four of these for each plate.

"Everything that comes in the back door is the best. Nothing makes it through the back door unless it’s the best," DeMarco said.

Some specials include a house bottle of wine and a bruschetta available for $20 on Mondays and Tuesdays after 8 p.m. as well as wine by the glass and pitchers of beer for $5 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day.

The restaurant also includes soups, salads and paninis. These selections are the same as the other three Postino locations around the Valley.

The notable difference, however, is the alcohol selection. On tap, Postino serves 12 different types of beer. Known as a "WineCafe," the restaurant also offers a vast variety of wines.

Leslie Statt, project manager at Upward Projects, explained a special wine made for Craig DeMarco. The wine bottle's label is modeled after a concert ticket, with DeMarco's birthday as the row, seat and section number. The wine is a 2013 California Pinot Noir named Stagedive.

One aspect that's vital to the way Postino runs is the maxim "wouldn't it be cool if...," Statt said.

"We tell that to our staff, too," she said. "They've had so many great ideas and it always keeps stuff fresh."

One fresh place in the restaurant is the wall of polaroid pictures that documents the restaurant's development. This wall came about because Lauren Bailey and Kris DeMarco asked "wouldn't it be cool if..."

The design and cooking combine to create a vibe that clearly shows the passion the staff members and co-owners have for each guest who will visit the restaurant.

"We’re going to be here forever, so we just want to do it right," DeMarco said.

Postino is located on 615 S College Avenue in the Art Annex. Hours are Monday-Thursday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. to 12 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Reach the arts and entertainment editor at pnorthfe@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @peternorthfelt

×