What do you stand for?

Photo by Luu Nguyen
Photo by Luu Nguyen

Whether it be a cause, character trait, or goal, everyone has that one thing they feel strongly about. SPM asks ASU students what they stand for.

Photo by Luu Nguyen Andrew Garcia, Sophomore, Finance. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I feel like I stand for the little guy, the one that you can’t really see. You don’t hear their voice a lot, especially when institutions abuse their powers, or when they try to quell their voice because “they’re just small, they can’t stand up for themselves”... I guess as an average citizen we can stand up against these institutions, because usually that’s who we represent. They’re supposed to represent us to hear our voice."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Fabiha Alam, Sophomore, Medical Bioengineering. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I believe in basic human rights. I’m part of a group called Students for Justice in Palestine and so we focus mostly on the human rights issues in Palestine and raise more awareness to talk about current events and what’s happening…In college I think one of the biggest purposes is to just expand your mind, so not just like “I’m getting a degree” but also learning just so much about the global things in the community."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Jaden Swartwood, Junior, Aerospace Engineering. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"Probably integrity more than anything. Because if there’s no integrity, you can’t really trust anything."

Jason Mollerup, ASU Visitor. Photo by Luu Nguyen Jason Mollerup, ASU Visitor. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I’d say the biggest thing I stand for in my life right now is seeking the kingdom of God. It’s something foreign today, especially campus culture. In Matthew 26:24-25 it talks about stress. We’re all so stressed today with everything that’s going on. At the end it concludes to “seek the kingdom first and all of these things will be given to you.” With that, I live for making God my priority and that everything else—school, work, money, finances, everything else will come with it."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Judith Bracamonk ,Sophomore, Communications. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I stand for loyalty and respect for others so that you can be respected back. I stand for honesty."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Mariam Fayad, Junior, Material Science and Engineering. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"Justice. I stand for justice whether it has to deal with women’s rights or ending wars, bullying at school. I just stand for everyone being treated equally and everyone being treated well."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Misty Preston, Senior, Healthy Lifestyles Coaching. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I think I stand for women’s rights and being comfortable with who you are…being yourself, being who you are. Like if you’re loud, be loud. If you’re going to be crazy, be crazy."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Nestor Obeso, Junior, Mechanical Engineering. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"One thing that I stand for is to basically try and help each other, help individuals."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Niamey Thomas, Senior, Communication. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I stand for higher education. As a first generation Latina, half-black lady I feel that it is very important for someone like myself to make it in the world and feel like they have the option [to be educated] and to feel loved."

Photo by Luu Nguyen Tori Temores, Freshman, Elementary Education. Photo by Luu Nguyen

"I’m figuring out that a lot of kids in special education are being overlooked and not stood up for appropriately, so now that really inspired me. Now I’m thinking I want to switch over to special education to get their rights more. "

What do you stand for?

Reach the reporter at ltnguy14@asu.edu or @luu_t_nguyen.

×