$1 Record Reviews: Molly Ringwald’s ‘Except Sometimes’

Album art courtesy of Concord Music Group

This week’s edition of $1 Record Reviews is a special one. Rather than undergoing my weekly routine of reviewing cheap vinyl, I decided to stray from my comfort zone (in case I hadn’t pushed myself far enough already) to give Molly Ringwald’s singing debut a listen.

That’s right: The ‘80s American sweetheart has strayed from her busy life of pseudo-parenting Shailene Woodley and reminiscing days of looking pretty in pink long enough to create “Except Sometimes,” a 10-track-long jazz album complete with a brassy new version of “Don’t You (Forget About Me).”

Now, I don’t know about you, but I thought this sounded ridiculous when I first heard of it last month. I had apparently missed the memo that it was released over a year ago, but nevertheless, it is a real thing. Not only is it real, but, according to the starlet herself, she knows what she’s doing.

“Beginning at around age three, I started singing with (my dad’s) band, and jazz music has continued to be one of my three passions, along with acting and writing,” Ringwald shared on her website. “I like to say jazz music is my musical equivalent of comfort food. It's always where I go back to when I want to feel grounded.”

This album isn’t just some Disney acting contract-turned-album (à la Demi Lovato or Britney Spears) type of deal; it’s music by an artist who happens to also be a John Hughes icon.

At least that is what kept telling myself as I began my next 43-minute-long commitment.

“Sooner or Later”

Despite the setback of a particularly thick sounding bass guitar, Ringwald’s voice is surprisingly soothing for this first track. It is easy to visualize her on a stage with a lone pianist and a spotlight like Renée Zellweger’s “Funny Honey” in Chicago, only without the blatant sexuality. Even while unveiling a plan to catch her man with obvious sighs, Ms. Molly maintains an undeniable innocence. Then again, that may just be my memory of "Sixteen Candles" stickin’ with me.

“I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)”

I had wondered what the meaning behind the title of this album was, though I did not expect this to be the song to choose as a label. There’s no denying that Ringwald has a great voice, but the music itself is rather bland for my taste in jazz. I feel as though I could listen to this in a Starbucks during the holidays, but it would never be my first choice otherwise. Also, it’s particularly depressing to be a second track. I hope I don’t have to deal with yet another album dedicated to crying.

“I Believe in You”

I gotta say, this is a pleasant surprise! I am a huge fan of the “How to Succeed in Business (Without Really Trying)” soundtrack after acting as a chorus member for the show in high school. Even though it’s a bit strange to hear a woman sing this song as though it’s to her lover, rather than a guy singing to his reflection, it works. Quite impressively so, actually. I’m starting to believe in you, too, Molly.

“The Very Thought of You”

Here we go with another slow one, only this time around it’s pleasingly melancholic. Throughout the first half of this album, it seemed as though the instruments (particularly the bass) had been interfering with Ringwald’s voice, but as of now, it’s an appropriate addition. As soothing as her voice may be, however, I can’t really place it. If I had heard this without the precept that I am listening to Molly Ringwald’s jazz album, I never would have guessed whose voice I’m currently enjoying. Perhaps she has grown less raspy with age? I really ought to start catching up on that "Secret Life of the American Teenager" show instead of constantly crying over the fact that she didn’t choose Ducky. It’s beginning to impair my judgement.

“Where is Love?”

I’m sorry, but no matter how much I try, I can’t stifle my disappointment that this isn’t a cover of the Black Eyed Peas. There’s really nothing else I'm willing to say.

“Pick Yourself Up”

Ah, finally: an aptly titled track. The combination of the light brass instruments and Ringwald’s suddenly cheery voice make for a true pick-me-up. I began to worry that this album would remain dreary throughout its second half, but here I am shaking my butt in my seat to a catchy tune. I think I’ve discovered my favorite Ringwald hit.

“Don’t You (Forget About Me)”

Alas, the moment I have been waiting for. I, like every other supposedly misunderstood teen, have loved this song ever since I saw Bender raise that almighty fist in the air for the first time. This version certainly takes a different approach to the original, but it’s just as iconic. More importantly, I can still sing along, which is really all any "Breakfast Club" fan needs. I don’t think Ringwald needs to worry about anyone forgetting about her, though. She made it as a successful actress and, now that I’ve heard her ace an album of her own, I’m sure she’ll remain memorable for more reasons than her role in every pink-loving teen’s favorite romance.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×