Arizona Board of Regents approves Sun Devil Stadium renovation project phase 1

ABOR

The Arizona Board of Regents discuss various topics inside the Turquoise Room in the Memorial Union in Tempe on Nov. 21, 2014.

The Arizona Board of Regents discuss various topics inside the Turquoise Room at the Memorial campus in Tempe on Nov. 21, 2014. The regents deliberated a wide range of topics during the meeting. (Photo by Jonathan Williams) The Arizona Board of Regents discuss various topics inside the Turquoise Room at the Memorial campus in Tempe on Nov. 21, 2014. The regents deliberated a wide range of topics during the meeting. (Photo by Jonathan Williams)

The Arizona Board of Regents approved the first phase of the Sun Devil Stadium renovation project Friday morning.

Regents approved the initial project in September 2014 and an athletic fee was introduced at the beginning of the fall semester. Included in the fee were paid admission to ASU athletic events. The work should begin at the end of the current football season.

Regent and ASU President Michael Crow said the stadium will be a constant revenue source for the University.

“Once the district is built ... it will allow these facilities in all sports to be renewed, refreshed, and enhanced continuously from these revenue sources,” Crow said.

The first undergraduate regent report in history was presented by Student Regents Valerie Hanna and Mark Naufel during the opening moments of the meeting. Hanna said she was honored to be a part of the first report.

“I don’t think it could be said enough how grateful both of us are to represent students and just how awesome it is that we have two voices at this table and a vote,” Hanna said. “That in itself is very powerful."

Hanna said she was very thankful to all the regents for giving them the opportunity.

The board approved several proposals, including ASU merging with the Thunderbird School of Global Management and a letter to be sent to governor-elect Doug Ducey. The board will meet again on Feb. 5 and 6 at UA.

Reach the reporter at jwilli62@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @JonWilliams_23

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×