2014 Arizona Race to Watch: 9th Congressional District

Sun Devils for Israel invited Krysten Sinema to speak about her trip to Isreal and how it has affected her views of of the nation in the Memorial Union November 3, 2013. (Photo by Murphy Bannerman)

Here’s what you need to know about candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives in the 9th Congressional District, which includes the area around the Tempe campus. Find the rest of our races to watch here.

Wendy Rogers (Republican)

Wendy Rogers and granddaughter Claire enjoying a special moment while talking to supporters at Manuel's Mexican Restaurant in Tempe. (Photo by Stephanie Specht) Wendy Rogers and granddaughter Claire enjoy a special moment while talking to
supporters at Manuel's Mexican Restaurant in Tempe after she won the
Republican primary on Aug. 26. (Photo by Stephanie Specht)

Retired Air Force Lt. Col. Wendy Rogers defeated businessman and former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter to receive the Republican nomination for U.S. House of Representatives in Arizona’s 9th Congressional District.

In 2012, Rogers ran for the 9th District seat but lost to Republican Vernon Parker in the primary election.

Rogers received a lot of criticism after she ran a campaign ad that featured footage from American journalist James Foley’s beheading to talk about how Sinema was not tough enough on anti-terrorism legislation and issues.

Where she stands:

Education:

Immigration: Rogers said she does not support amnesty and believes the border needs to be secured immediately.

Reproductive Rights: Rogers said she is pro-life and does not support abortion.

LGBTQA Issues: Rogers said she believes marriage should be between only a man and a woman.

Kyrsten Sinema (Democrat)

Sun Devils for Israel invited Krysten Sinema to speak about her trip to Isreal and how it has affected her views of of the nation in the Memorial Union November 3, 2013. (Photo by Murphy Bannerman) Sun Devils for Israel invited Krysten Sinema to speak at the Memorial Union about her trip to Israel and how it has affected her views of of the nation on Nov. 3, 2013. (Photo by Murphy Bannerman)

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema is the incumbent in the race and ran unopposed during the August primaries.

In 2012, Sinema narrowly defeated Republican Vernon Parker to win the 9th Congressional District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Sinema has focused on veterans' issues. She said she is working with other politicians and community officials to fix the Veterans’ Administration health system and ensure all veterans get adequate health care.

Where she stands:

Education:

Immigration: Sinema said she wants to work to create a plan to secure the border and address the issue of the many undocumented residents already living in the U.S.

Reproductive Rights: Sinema said she supports abortion and the right of women to make their own health care choices.

LGBTQA Issues: Sinema supports marriage equality for everyone.

×