ASU students become Public Allies to give back to community, develop leadership skills

Sophomore and Political Science major Traci Ducusin is one of the Public Allies in the UMOM New Day Center at Phoenix. Public Allies selects communities' most promising young leaders, who commit to a rigorous and rewarding 10-month program of full-time, paid apprenticeships in community organizations, team service projects and bi-weekly leadership training.

Sophomore and Political Science major Traci Ducusin is one of the Public Allies in the UMOM New Day Center in Phoenix. Public Allies selects communities' most promising young leaders, who commit to a rigorous and rewarding 10-month program of full-time, paid apprenticeships in community organizations, team service projects and bi-weekly leadership training. (Photo by Ryan Liu) Sophomore and Political Science major Traci Ducusin is one of the Public Allies in the UMOM New Day Center in Phoenix. Public Allies selects communities' most promising young leaders, who commit to a rigorous and rewarding 10-month program of full-time, paid apprenticeships in community organizations, team service projects and bi-weekly leadership training. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

Since ASU political science sophomore Traci Ducusin became a Public Ally in September, every Monday starts a 42-hour work week on top of 15 hours of classes and a 25-hour commitment for the Residence Hall Association.

She had to minimize her sleep to four or five hours a day, but the experience is very gratifying, Ducusin said.

“Working with nonprofits is very rewarding,” she said. “I see the people that benefit from the community and from what my organization is doing. I think that’s what keeps me showing up to work.”

Ducusin is one of the 43 Public Allies chosen to work at nonprofit organizations in the Phoenix metro area this year. After completing a rigorous selection process, Ducusin was offered a position of social enterprise outreach coordinator at UMOM New Day Center in Phoenix, an organization that aims to prevent and end homelessness.

The program experience allowed Ducusin to dip into the real professional world and shape her expectations of the future career.

“Since I’m still going to school, I feel like I’m kind of in between the real world and college,” she said. “It’s just really interesting to have this experience at such a young age because professionally I see the reality of what is needed out there.”

The Public Allies Arizona is a member of the AmeriCorps national service network, run by the ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Innovation since 2006. Each year, it connects several dozen students and alumni with nonprofit organizations to give them a paid work experience in the fields of education, economic opportunities and health involvement.

The organization was created in 1992 with the mission of building the next wave of leadership to strengthen nonprofit organizations and the community.

Elsbeth Schneider-Pollack, program manager and lead of recruitment for Public Allies, said the program allows students and alumni to experience the practical side of the theory they learn in class.

“The reason why I think a lot of students and alumni from ASU participate, because it’s a great way to put their foot in the door into the nonprofit sector and really put a lot of the theory they’ve been learning about in classes into action,” she said.

The selection process that starts in March and allows the selected students to start in September. The process puts candidates through a lot of interviews, group activities and ‘speed dating’ with representatives of the potential placements.

Schneider-Pollack said the selection is rigorous and extensive to make sure candidates are ready to commit to the demanding program.

“We have that system in place because we don’t want just anyone,” she said. “We want someone who is excited about learning more about their community, excited about giving back to their community, excited to get into the nonprofit sector and really make this essential change and impact.”

Senior and Nonprofit Leadership and Management major Tyandrah Ashley is among one of the most promising young leaders in Public Allies for class 2014-2015. Public Allies selects young leaders who commit to a rigorous and rewarding 10-month program of full-time, paid apprenticeships in community organizations, team service projects and bi-weekly leadership training. (Photo by Ryan Liu) Senior and Nonprofit Leadership and Management major Tyandrah Ashley is among one of the most promising young leaders in Public Allies for class 2014-2015. Public Allies selects young leaders who commit to a rigorous and rewarding 10-month program of full-time, paid apprenticeships in community organizations, team service projects and bi-weekly leadership training. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

Nonprofit leadership and management senior Tyandrah Ashley is a Public Ally at the Arizona Center for Afterschool Excellence, where she is responsible for conducting research on leadership development opportunities, as well as best practices and programs for after-school education.

The biggest challenge for Ashley is to transition from academic to work environment, she said.

“I’m transitioning straight from college into the work force, and it’s a big challenge for me,” she said. “I thought I was a lot more prepared for the working world, but it’s a transition, an adjustment, and I’m grateful my supervisor is very patient with me.”

Along with the stipend of $13,500 students receive over the course of 10 months, they also get an education award of $5,550 upon the completion of the program which could be used to pay off any previous loans or educational expenses in the future.

Although the pay rate is not very high, the experience of giving back to the community and acquiring leadership skills is worth waiting 10 months before getting a higher paid job.

“I think the value of those leadership skills is worth taking a lower pay rate for 10 months and then going out for a job that (Public Allies) deserve,” she said.

While students develop their leadership skills and experience real world work environment, the program aims to build a supportive community for the Allies.

Participants meet every other week for community space days to address any concerns about their placements and take part in leadership training orchestrated by professionals from the non-profit sector.

Allies also participate in self-governed workshops to discuss the program’s core values and find ways to incorporate it in the non-profit sector and design a service project.

“They encourage very much that you embrace who you are and everything about yourself,” Ashley said. “It is one of the biggest things about developing as a leader through the Public Allies. They encourage teamwork, active listening and just being comfortable with yourself, because there’re so many different types of people in the program with different sexual orientation, national origins, religious beliefs and immigration status.”

Reach the reporter at kmaryaso@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @KseniaMaryasova

×