ASU vs. Notre Dame: By the numbers

nd 2002

The last time ASU football knocked off a top-10 opponent. That came in Eugene, where the Sun Devils beat No. 6 Oregon 45-42. The last home top-10 win came in 1997 over No. 10 Washington State, 44-31.

nd 7-3

The Sun Devils record against ranked teams in their last 10 contests. ASU started out 0-3 against top-25 opponents under Todd Graham, but since then, the Sun Devils have gone 7-3 and are 7-6 overall under Graham against top-25 teams.

nd 147

The difference in rushing yards between ASU and Notre Dame. The Sun Devils gained 188 yards on the ground and held the Fighting Irish to just 41. ASU attacked the strong point of Notre Dame's defense and beat it at its own game.

nd 28

The number of points off turnovers for the Sun Devils. ASU got 14 off interceptions returned for touchdowns and converted two others into touchdowns. The only one of the five Irish turnovers ASU didn't score on was Kweishi Brown's interception in the end zone.

nd 123

The number of return yards on ASU's four interceptions. The only one that didn't go for yards was Marcus Hardison's (which is pretty understandable). ASU was outgained by Notre Dame offensively, 487-412, but the turnovers made up for it.

ND 7

The number of sacks by the ASU defense. The Sun Devils had 20 sacks in seven games prior. Before the massacre, Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson hadn't been sacked more than four times, and the Irish had only allowed 14 all season.

nd 1396

Taylor Kelly's career rushing yards, and now an ASU record. With his 18 yards rushing against Notre Dame, Kelly broke Mark Malone's record of 1,390 set in 1979. Kelly also moved into third place on the all-time completions list with 638, passing Jake Plummer's 632.

nd 34

The number of ASU's first-half points is also the most points ASU has scored in a half this season. It's also the most the Sun Devils have scored in a half since the first half of their 55-21 win at Washington State on Oct. 31 last season.

nd 1985

The last time Notre Dame allowed 50 points in a game. The Irish gave up 55 to ASU on Saturday, the most since they lost 58-7 to Miami on Nov. 30, 1985.

ND 4

The number of teams that will make the College Football Playoff. ASU is one of the five teams that controls its own destiny (including Oregon) and should move up further in the top 10 when the rankings are released Tuesday.

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×