Beyoncé re-releases eponymous album, dance floor not included

Queen Bey graced us, once again, with a platinum album release, and you can bet your ass that this is just one more notch on the enigmatic belt of Mrs. Carter.

For those of you who may not be as dedicated to the art of Bey-watching, perhaps I should clarify: This is a pretty big deal. Rumors of a potential new album release have been circulating for weeks now that no one knows what to expect from Beyoncé’s production team, which dropped the artist's fifth album without warning last December.

Granted, a platinum reprise may not be as exciting as another full album, but, when it comes to ‘Yoncé, one really can’t complain.

The platinum edition of “Beyoncé” offers two new songs along with four remixes which feature Nicki Minaj, Pharrell Williams, Kanye West and –– you guessed it –– the second half of the Knowles-Carter duo, Jay Z. The box set also includes live footage from the power-couple’s “On the Run” tour, but, let’s face it, we’re just pumped to hear two new bona fide gems from one of the best selling artists of all time.

The moment I saw the surprise music video for “7/11,” I was caught up in Beyoncé’s playful dance moves that I hardly paid attention to the song. I’ve been lucky to have a chance to goof off in a hotel before, but I can assure you that I did not have as much fun as those backup dancers. I mean, it’s not every day you get to wear an ironic Playboy sweater and kneepads to “smack it in the air” with Bey. If that were a regular occurrence, life would surely be a lot more interesting (and drunk).

When I finally took a breather and listened to “7/11” on its own, I was swept into a daydream of dancing in a club with all my girlfriends, when, in reality, I had really just swirled around on my duvet like an idiot. Although an extremely different sound from the Sasha Fierce vibe everyone –– including Justin Timberlake –– jammed to back in 2008, the song continues the immersive experience Beyoncé hoped to accomplish with her eponymous album.

Whereas “7/11” is a song purely made for dancing (the lyrics are purposely repetitive: My hands up, my hands up / I stand up with my hands up / Then I put up, my hands up / I put up, my hands up), Beyoncé’s second new song has a more focused appeal matched with an uplifting beat.

“Ring Off” is the polar opposite of the artist’s 2008 hit “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It),” written to encourage her mother as she has found a new life since divorcing Mr. Knowles. Rather than offering the apologetic track which one may expect 30 seconds into the song, Beyoncé pushes her mother to harness her own freedom by being herself and finding a new man so that “now you shine and you're fine / Like it's my time, you took that ring off.” This is sweet and the beat is reminiscent of a beach vacation — perfect for a pick-me-up.

For a few years, Beyoncé seemed caught between having fun and maintaining the classy image which America’s music industry has demanded of her. Today, however, Beyoncé’s music seems a lot more carefree. It’s good to see that she has developed into a female artist who can be the full package: A mother, a breadwinner, a sex icon, a feminist and an artist. Honestly, it’s exhausting just trying to keep up. You go, Queen Bey.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×