On Nov. 12, Paper Magazine released an issue starring the one and only Kim Kardashian titled, "Break the Internet." The issue included a stimulating interview about Kardashians' selfies, reality show and daughter. It also included racy nude photos of the socialite.

With those photos, Paper Magazine most definitely broke the internet.

The evening before the release of the issue, the reality star did the honors herself and posted one of the photos on Instagram. It did not go over well.

Many took to Twitter to trash Kim. User MelissaB said, "#KimKardashian is disgusting. She is a mother now. Her first thought should be how is what I am about to do going to affect my child."

Not only did Kardashian's pedestrian haters jump on the comments, fellow celebrities did as well. "Glee" star Naya Rivera commented on Kardashian's Instagram photo saying "I normally don't. But...you're someones mother..." Even "Lovely Bones" star, Saoirse Ronan, stated, “She was naked. Not in a kind-of beautiful, kind-of artistic way. It was disgusting."

Kardashian isn't new to the scene; she knows how to get people talking. She may not be a singer or an actress, but we shouldn't hold motherhood against her. For some reason, we seem to think it is appropriate to tell mothers what they can or cannot do, but no one has the right to tell Kardashian what is best for her own child — even if it is Kim Kardashian.

Being a mother does not and should not inhibit you from feeling sexy. It is a rarity for women to feel good with themselves after they have given birth. Studies also show that women who are dissatisfied with their bodies after pregnancy are less likely to breastfeed, and more likely to suffer postpartum depression and psychological distress. If that is the case, shouldn't we all back off of Kardashian and stop slut shaming her for being a mother?

One of the most courageous actions a woman could do is bare it all for the world to see, especially after giving birth. If Mrs. Kardashian West feels so inclined to pose nude on the cover of a magazine, let her do so.

Celebrities like Beyoncé Knowles and Jessica Simpson have posed nude, but their provocative actions have never been vilified like Kim's.

We can look at Kardashian's photos as a body movement. Maybe she is telling us, that whether you are old or young, male or female, mother or not — you should feel good in the skin you are in.

Perhaps it is the anomaly that is Kim Kardashian that makes it so easy to rip her apart, but being a mother doesn't mean she should stop doing her thing.

If you are still concerned about her daughter, I can guarantee you North West doesn't know how to use Instagram or Twitter yet, so it is safe to say that she won't be seeing her mother's nude photos any time soon.

Reach the columnist at ambice@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @alliebice

×