Casting call: 'Captain Marvel'

(Image courtesy of Marvel)
(Image courtesy of Marvel)

(Image courtesy of Marvel) (Image courtesy of Marvel)

Marvel surprised many when it announced the third phase of movies in the Cinematic Universe would be "Captain Marvel." Even more surprising than that announcement was the character Marvel announced would be brought to the screen: Carol Danvers. As fans of the comics know, Danvers first debuted as "Ms. Marvel," and it was not until July 2012 that Danvers assumed the mantle of "Captain Marvel."

Read about Marvel's recent documentary here, and read more about the Marvel Universe here.

Besides the impact that casting Danvers could have on the rest of the Cinematic Universe, who Marvel casts in the role could be potentially revealing about the company's mindset as a whole. Danvers is really the first strong female character to take a central role in any of their films. Sure, there’s Natasha Romanoff but, unfortunately, she’s always had more of a background role.

Casting Danvers will surely be no easy task, but here are my top five choices for who could play the role.

5. Oona Chaplin

While the former “Game of Thrones” star may not be the blonde-haired, blue-eyed candidate Marvel is most likely looking for, there’s no denying that Chaplin would fit fantastically in the Marvel Universe. Her work as a discarded housewife in “The Hour” as well as her role as an inscrutable woman on the dating scene in “Dates” prove that she has more than it takes hold down a leading role. While it’s certainly unlikely casting will look her way for the part, Marvel should certainly consider casting Charlie Chaplin’s granddaughter in a future role.

4. Emmy Rossum

To me, Rossum is one of the most underrated actresses on television right now. Rossum consistently turned excellent performances on Showtime’s original series “Shameless." It's criminal that she has never been nominated for an Emmy. Despite some questionable roles in films such as the absolutely abysmal “Dragonball: Evolution,” Rossum is still incredibly talented, and I think she would be more than capable of completely owning the role of Danvers — even if it meant having to don a blonde wig to closer fit the character’s appearance in the comics.

3. Brie Larson

The “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” star has already shown that she can play a badass (her turn as Envy Adams is one of my very favorite parts in a movie that I love), but has also proven that she has the acting chops necessary to play the lead in a film, given her turn in last year’s “Short Term 12” (which was one of my favorite films of last year). Larson has proven her ability to handle comedy as well, appearing in “Community” and in “21 Jump Street.” By the time the film is released in 2018, she will be in her late 20s, making her the perfect age for the part. She just missed playing Sarah Connor in next year’s “Terminator” reboot, so studios are clearly confident enough in her to give her the lead in a franchise, despite her not being a household name. Marvel would be smart to try to offer her the part and see what she could do with it.

2. Emily Blunt

The second I left the theater with my family after seeing “Edge of Tomorrow” this summer, I walked over to my dad and said, “If they ever make a 'Captain Marvel' movie, Emily Blunt would be perfect for the role.” Almost five months later, such a dream became a reality, and I still stand by that statement. Blunt would be perfect for the role of Carol Danvers. She balanced action and comedy in “Edge” as Tom Cruise’s mentor and authority figure, an element that could help her casting chances as Danvers is a fighter-pilot who often finds herself in a leadership position. It’s also worth noting that Blunt is on Marvel’s radar, having previously been considered to play Black Widow, even though that obviously fell through. If Marvel still wants Blunt to be a part of this machine, this is the role for it.

1. Katee Sackhoff

While I may take some heat for saying this, Katee Sackhoff is the first name that comes to mind when thinking of who could play "Captain Marvel." The former “Battlestar Galactica” and “Longmire” star has proven that she can play the role of a tough, authoritative woman in various films. Her schedule is currently open to joining the franchise, as “Longmire” was unfortunately cancelled earlier this year. Sackhoff looks the part as well. In fact, when the film was first announced, I immediately pictured Sackhoff in the role. Already a commonly known name among geeks, Sackhoff would be a big enough draw to attract those familiar with her work in her past films. Given her previous work with sci-fi materia, as well as her attitude, Katee Sackhoff fits the persona of Carol Danvers to a T and would be the perfect choice to play the titular role in the upcoming "Captain Marvel" film.

Reach the reporter at seweinst@asu.edu or follow @S_Weinstein95 on Twitter.

×