Fantastic treats and where to find them

The almond croissant, as well as the Nutella Macchiato, are house favorites at Delice Bistro on Mill Ave.  (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez)
The almond croissant, as well as the Nutella Macchiato, are house favorites at Delice Bistro on Mill Ave. (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez)

When school work gets me down and there seems to be no light at the end of the scholastic tunnel, there's nothing I enjoy more than Yelp-ing new pastry locations in the Valley. Here's three standout locations that guarantee a sugar high strong enough to give you the willpower to keep on keeping on.

Fractured Prune

Fractured Prune, located on Ray Road in Chandler, features a menu of gourmet and design-your-own doughnuts. It also brews two blends of coffee with five different creamers offered. (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez) Fractured Prune, located on Ray Road in Chandler, features a menu of gourmet and design-your-own doughnuts. It also brews two blends of coffee with five different creamers offered. (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez)

An east coast transplant, Fractured Prune is the home of gourmet doughnuts. Featuring 16 signature doughnuts as well as a build-your-own option, there's something for every doughnut lover. Each doughnut is made to order by a "doughnut designer" and served hot. With the price of a doughnut and a 12-oz. cup of coffee coming in under $6, Fractured Prune is an affordable option for a study break(down).

Address: 4910 W. Ray Rd., Ste. 1, Chandler

Phone: 480-820-5438

Hours: Monday to Saturday 6 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Sunday 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Delice Bistro

The almond croissant, as well as the Nutella Macchiato, are house favorites at Delice Bistro on Mill Ave.  (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez) The almond croissant, as well as the Nutella Macchiato, are house favorites at Delice Bistro on Mill Ave. (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez)

Since opening in September, Delice Bistro has focused on building a name in the Tempe community through a big social media push. It has a full café menu, hot and cold sandwiches, sweet and savory crepes and authentic European pastries. Menu highlights and house favorites include the almond croissant and the Nutella Macchiato.

Address: 690 S. Mill Ave., Tempe

Phone: 480-234-8153

Hours: Sunday to Thursday 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Friday and Saturday: 7 a.m. – 2:30 a.m.

Arai Pastry

Early Grey Tea Cake is one of the many exotic, subtle cake flavor offerings at Arai Pastry. Located on University Drive, the bakery aims to bring authentic Japanese flavors to Tempe. (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez) Early Grey Tea Cake is one of the many exotic, subtle cake flavor offerings at Arai Pastry. Located on University Drive, the bakery aims to bring authentic Japanese flavors to Tempe. (Photo by Micaela Rodriguez)

This Japanese bakery showcases a host of flavors that may be unfamiliar to the average pastry eater. Unlike other pastries familiar to Americans, the spread offered at Arai is more subtle than sweet. It's best to head over to Arai earlier in the morning before the exotic flavors like coconut and mango are sold out.

Address: 1335 W. University Dr., Tempe

Phone: 480-966-9002

Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 9 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.

Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Reach the assistant arts and entertainment editor at mjrodr11@asu.edu or follow @mikayrodr on Twitter.

×