Five relatable TV Thanksgivings

HO
KRT PLUGGED IN STORY SLUGGED: TVONDVD KRT PHOTO (December 14) "Gilmore Girls: The Complete Fifth Season" (Warner, 22 episodes, six discs, $59.98) collects the 2004-05 season, which ended with Rory in trouble and Lorelai proposing to Luke. (gsb) 2005

(Photo Courtesy of Warner Bros./MCT) (Photo Courtesy of Warner Bros./MCT)

"Thanksgiving, man," said comedian Kevin James. "Not a good time to be my pants."

Waistbands aren't the only ones suffering through a holiday commemorated by pure, delightful gluttony. Americans like to discuss their "traditional" Thanksgiving meal prep, but the sense of tradition really ends there. For some, the holiday is a reason to gather round a quaint wooden table and reminisce with old family and friends in a warm, jolly setting; for others, it's a time of chaos, screaming aunts and boisterous storytelling.

Read more about your family at Thanksgiving here!

There is truly no "traditional" Thanksgiving experience, and to prove it, here (in no particular order) are five TV shows with classic Thanksgivings to remind us that loving dysfunction is as real on-screen as it is in reality.

1. "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"

Certainly, many of us can relate to poor Charlie Brown's adorably naïve comment, "She wouldn't try to trick me on a traditional holiday!" Yet, we still see poor Charlie spinning through the air after being fooled by the relentless Lucy, a reminder to us all that it's not truly Thanksgiving without a classic prank, jab or joke every once in a while.

Read more about "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" here!

In spite of this setback, this is a classic, timeless example of a true "friendsgiving." Although it's full of playful drama, popcorn and complaints, the gang ends up finding a resolution and having a jolly old time at Charlie's grandmother's house.

2. "Gilmore Girls"

"A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving" is excellent because it is just so relatable. People have many reasons for celebrating multiple Thanksgivings, and this episode is a perfect example of just how diverse the day can end up being. Rory and Lorelai consume not only tofurkey and deep-fried meat, but also stress and shocking information. Even the relationships celebrated in this episode are wonderfully diverse. Rory's announcement that she has applied to Yale (to her mother's dismay) is reminiscent of the big news that people in real life often choose to share around the Thanksgiving dinner table.

3. "Seinfeld"

The idea of a "pre-Thanksgiving party" is unconventional in itself, but the entire "The Mom and Pop Store" episode is a great example of how many random and irrelevant things can take place on a holiday. Presumably buying actor Jon Voight's car? Winning a radio contest to hold a Woody Woodpecker balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade? Damaging your hearing and accidentally rejecting a dream date? Keeping an old shoe repair shop in business? Desperately seeking a dentist? Certainly, most Americans can't say they've experienced these things during Thanksgiving, but it at least goes to show how truly unexpected Thanksgivings can be.

4. "Saturday Night Live"

"I'll tell you what the pilgrims did bring," exclaims the negative yet surprisingly well-informed Debbie Downer around a Thanksgiving dinner table. "Smallpox!" Surrounded by SNL icons Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers as well as actor Luke Wilson, Rachel Dratch's notable recurring character is a quality representation of the kind of awkward, unconventional dinner guest so many Americans have experienced. Sometimes, this person comes in the form of a strange uncle or an unexpected visit from mom's best friend's step-daughter, but regardless, far too many people know what it's like to celebrate Thanksgiving with an oddball who offers information that nobody asked to hear.

5. "Friends"

Over its 10-year reign, "Friends" consistently produced some of the most unforgettably hilarious holiday specials, but the show's Thanksgiving episodes were true gems. "The One With All the Thanksgivings" is a shining example of a quality throwback. We see Phoebe's war-torn experience in a past life, Joey getting his head stuck in a turkey, and fat Monica's attempt at humiliating Chandler, who ends up losing a toe. Every scene is a comforting reminder to viewers that anything can happen, even during Thanksgiving. Hopefully, you've never experienced the sensation of getting your head lodged inside poultry or having a haircut as painfully horrific as Chandler's old "Flock of Seagulls" coif, but if you're lucky enough to have experienced genuine love and friendship through it all, the lunacy and chaos of the holidays suddenly becomes worth it.

Trade stories about crazy relatives with the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or on twitter @lina_lauren.

×