'Ghost Stories Live' offers soulful but sleepy sound

(Image courtesy of Parlophone Records)
(Image courtesy of Parlophone Records)

(Image courtesy of Parlophone Records) (Image courtesy of Parlophone Records)

"In the darkness before the dawn / In the swirling of this storm / When I'm rolling with the punches / And hope is gone / Leave a light, a light on."

In an abstract way, these lyrics from Coldplay's "Midnight" are a fair representation of the dimly lit vibe throughout the rest of "Ghost Stories Live 2014," which was released Monday.

The album showcases the British band's airy alternative sound, which is even more overwhelming here than in earlier albums such as "Mylo Xyloto" and "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends."

The album is being sold with a DVD live performances shot in a custom-built amphitheater at Sony Studios, Los Angeles, in March 2014.

The live album showcases the band's ethereal, alternative sound and explores themes of light and dark, which enhance the breathy vocals and lulling melodies. Lead singer Chris Martin has a beautifully steady and soothing voice, and the live performance makes it abundantly clear that he has natural talent.

"Midnight" pairs Martin's vocals with a mechanized harmony. The liveliest part of the song is into the third minute, when we can hear the audience clapping rhythmically along to the bridge.

Other songs, such as "Always In My Head" and "Oceans," carry on with the soft, slow tunes that reflect a tension between emotional struggle and a deep love. "But though I try my heart stays still / It never moves," drones Martin in the heartfelt "Always In My Head." The album as a whole seems to be a power struggle between the joy and pain of love, and the live performance offers an even more emotional take on this.

A more conventional piano tune encompasses "O," which is vaguely reminiscent of the sounds on 2005's "X&Y;" album. The energy picks up slightly in "Ink," which reveals an expression of dedicated love and commitment through lyrics such as "I see your colors and I'm dying of thirst / All I know / Is that I love you so / So much that it hurts."

The energy finally picks up as the audience excitedly engages in the band's performance of Coldplay's latest single, "A Sky Full Of Stars." The audience participation brings a full resonance to the already passionate song that makes every word and rhythm feel bolder and more beautiful. A similar phenomenon occurs when the audience hears "Magic," the first single off the album. Although more relaxed than "A Sky Full of Stars," "Magic" offers a slightly more energized look into a deep emotional journey, especially in the bridge.

Overall, the live performance is well-executed and beautifully composed, but lacks the bursts of energy past studio albums have brought. The album is thematically emotional and complex, yet sleepy and lyrically simple. The live performance aspect is very well done, and showcases the natural artistry of Coldplay as a band. It's a great album to listen to if you're feeling emotional or tired, but that doesn't mean it's not worth a listen if you're feeling otherwise.

Reach the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or tweet her @lina_lauren.

×