Uncertainty looms as President Barack Obama uses his last few months before assuming the role of a lame duck when the Republican-led Congress takes office. Obama this week has made drastic steps to cement his legacy, which includes the proposal to save 5 million undocumented immigrants from deportation, with or without the aid of a divided Congress.

Many are skeptical of the president’s timing because it marks the last precious moments before winter recess and a new Congress takes office. The Republicans currently in Congress have the opportunity to make a statement on how the next two years will go, for better or for worse.

The proposal itself is comparable to his predecessors'. Obama plans to grant amnesty to 5 million undocumented immigrants — many of whom have American children — and obtain a work permit to provide for their families. This plan shadows that of Ronald Reagan’s amnesty in 1986 that allowed 3 million undocumented immigrants to remain lawfully in the country.

Regardless of political division, immigration is an issue where both sides should want a compromise. Immigration reform is continually put on the backburner because of fears of alienating the ever-growing Latino vote.

As evidenced by the midterm election this month, the Democrats no longer have the ability to mobilize the Latino vote, which could prove to be an opportunity for the Republicans; however, if the Republicans resist reasonable demands for immigration, they are simply shooting themselves in the foot.

Contrary to popular belief, Obama — against party member's wishes — has never been lenient in regards to immigration. On a typical day during the tenure of the Obama Administration, over 30,000 undocumented immigrants were held in detention centers with the possibility of deportation. In addition, in a five-year span of his presidency (2008-13), Obama’s policies deported nearly two million immigrants, the highest rate of any president.

Republicans have the opportunity to make themselves the golden child of immigration without forsaking the conservative values often personified by Reagan.

The tone for the next two years will be set even before the new Congress takes their oaths. Many speculate the next Congress will wage war against the White House and Obama will need to brush the dust of his veto stamp; however, the immigration argument is a small window to find some consensus. The noteworthy “Gang of Eight” from 2013 that included both Arizona Republican Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake is evidence that both sides want a sound resolution to the issue of undocumented immigration.

Obama has admitted that he would proceed with an executive action as early as Friday if Congress does not oblige his request. The action will proceed with or without Republicans; therefore, they should lend their support for the imminent action.

If granting amnesty to immigrants results in a colossal failure, Republicans will be able to lay blame on Obama as they routinely have done the past six years. However, if there is even a glimmer of chance that granting amnesty will improve the lives of millions and provide opportunity to those that exist in the shadows of American society, then Republicans should be politically savvy and join the president.

Latino growth will continue regardless of the outcome of this immigration tiff, but if Republicans are able to get on the right side of the issue, it will set a tone for an optimistic two years and provide an untapped electorate for the party.

Reach the columnist at jemeyer3@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @JordanElizaM

×