New app offers free delivery for restaurants near campus

(Photo Courtesy of EatStreet/U Connect, Inc)

(Photo Courtesy of Eat Street/U Connect, Inc) (Photo Courtesy of EatStreet/U Connect, Inc)

EatStreet is an innovative app that just arrived at ASU allowing students to browse deals at restaurants near campus and order food for delivery without being charged delivery fees.

EatStreet marketing director Danny Mulligan said the app is designed to save students time and money because fresh meals will be delivered directly to students' doors is only a tap or click away.

The online food ordering company was founded by three students in Madison, Wisconsin, about five years ago. Their mission was to revolutionize the way people ordered and delivered food from local restaurants.

"The goal was to provide a food ordering service that was fast, easy and free," Mulligan said.

EatStreet has expanded to more than 40 college campuses and is available in even more cities. The company is continuing to extend its reach to a wider audience of students and schools across the nation.

Its newest addition is ASU, as the app is now available for use in Tempe.

"We basically look for college campuses with a large population of students and a good concentration of delivery restaurants," Mulligan said. "We really like to give a full spectrum of food genres on our website, so that our customers have a good variety of options."

The main difference between using the app and ordering from the restaurant directly, is that with EatStreet, customers are not required to pay for delivery.

"We give (restaurants) the technology to start receiving orders online through our app," Mulligan said. "We send them the orders, we process them and we do the marketing. However, we don’t actually do the deliveries themselves."

Nutrition junior Kassandra Wright said she orders from EatStreet frequently, and she cannot imagine using any other service to order food from.

“I love EatStreet," Wright said. "It's so easy to use. Especially on the days I'm lazy and don't feel like going anywhere. The food comes quickly to wherever I'm at."

(Photo Courtesy of EatStreet/U Connect, Inc) (Photo Courtesy of EatStreet/U Connect, Inc)

Business communication freshman Ellie Sampson is also an avid user of EatStreet. She said the app has completely changed the way she orders food from restaurants.

"It’s super convenient, especially because I live in the dorms, and when the dining hall is closed, and I'm super hungry, and I want something good, but I don’t want to walk or drive anywhere, I can just use EatStreet," Sampson said.

Sampson said she loves how cost effective the app is and the extensive variety of choices it offers.

"They have almost every restaurant, which is really nice, because then I'm not stuck eating the same thing all the time," Sampson said.

Mulligan said EatStreet is an asset to college campuses, because it provides an alternative for food delivery that is both convenient and free. This new model has proven to be extremely popular among college students.

"We want people to go to our app or website and find local restaurants that are offering good deals, and order a meal that will be delivered to them free of charge," Mulligan said. "We find that college students are really drawn to this concept, and we are excited to share this service with ASU."

Reach the reporter at jnsoto2@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @JacquelineSot0

×