Nolan's 'Interstellar' is a bold, beautiful ride

(Photo Courtesy of Paramount Pictures)
(Photo Courtesy of Paramount Pictures)

(Photo Courtesy of Paramount Pictures) (Photo Courtesy of Paramount Pictures)

After years of anxious waiting, writer/director Christopher Nolan’s highly anticipated ninth film “Interstellar” finally reached theaters. This film proves, once again, that Nolan is one of the most intelligent and ambitious filmmakers in Hollywood. The sci-fi space adventure is a jaw-dropping, emotional thrill ride bold enough to rival any space set film since — dare I say it — Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

Set in a not-so-distant future where the continued survival of the human race on Earth is in jeopardy, the film follows Cooper (Matthew McConaughey), a former astronaut. Our intrepid protagonist must leave those he loves on Earth behind in order to search the galaxy for other planets that could be a new home for humankind. Filled with drama, comedy, stunning visuals and shocking plot twists, the nearly three-hour run time zips by.

Read more about the so-called McConnaissance here.

It's a quickie, but not before Nolan manages to pack the film to the brim with theories and ideas about how intergalactic travel works, as well as the psychology of what one would do in order to secure the survival of the human race. Sounds exhausting? Well… it is. In fact, by the end of the film, audiences have so much on their plate to consider that the magic of the film may get lost.

While this could be detrimental, that overwhelming quality is perhaps the best part of “Interstellar.” Rather than featuring the clichéd training sequence like so many other space films do, the film focuses entirely on the characters for the first act, letting audiences get to know Cooper and his kids (daughter Murph, played by Mackenzie Foy as a child and by Jessica Chastain as an adult, as well as son Tom, played by Timothée Chalamet as a kid and Casey Affleck as an adult). Chastain’s performance is incredibly poignant. Murph’s resentment of her father's abandonment is heartbreaking, providing audiences a fascinating, Earth-based character to connect with.

Cooper doesn’t blast off into space until around 40 minutes in — by then, audiences are invested in the paternal relationship; the separation of the family hits close to home.

The film really shines once it reaches the great unknown. At this point, it becomes immediately clear that Nolan is uninterested in exploring our galaxy; he's more interested in what lies beyond it. Once in space, the film features a number of delicately directed set pieces that manage to advance both the story and the emotional arc it carries, allowing for both elements to compliment each other. While parts at this point might confuse a viewer, the film sucks viewers back into the thick of it by introducing a newer, more complex idea.

Nolan’s balance of the story and the awe-inspiring special effects, along with the poignant, dramatic moments, adds to McConaughey’s recent string of fantastic outings. The believability of the film’s central emotional story arc lies in his hands, and McConaughey handles it absolutely perfectly. Scenes where his character watches video transmissions from home mark some of the most raw, emotional moments and McConaughey plays them so well that it’s impossible to hold back tears.

“Interstellar” also features turns from Anne Hathaway, who plays Coop’s colleague, Brand. Brand is a strong, smart woman who wants to do whatever she can to ensure the human race’s survival. Hathaway provides just the right amount of bravado needed to match the tough, guarded Coop.

Visually, the film is one of the most stunning I have ever seen. The wide shots of the galaxy and segments on foreign planets are jaw-dropping, and the film begs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. The screening I attended was in IMAX; even that showing was hardly able to do the film justice. It may be pricey, but it’s worth the price of admission to see this one on the IMAX screen nearest you.

The film certainly does have flaws, though. Numerous plot points and conflicts are resolved in manners that are far too convenient. Also, Nolan’s dialogue can at times feel a bit too polished, having characters speak in ways that is on the verge of unbelievable — even by movie standards — with characters' philosophic banter only existing to invite audiences to debate the ideas. This tactic does not move the story or plot along. Therein lies the film’s biggest problem.

Nolan’s ambitiousness ultimately proves to be a bit too much, causing the film’s final act to get a bit confusing and hard to follow. The story's satisfying conclusion feels as if it were meant to make the final act understandable in the most convenient way possible. It’s a satisfying ending, but one that ultimately feels like a bit of a let down considering the big build-up of philosophical ideas that came before it.

At the end of it all, though, there is no denying that “Interstellar” is a masterpiece both in scope and story, managing to balance an incredibly big canvas with a story that matches, proving that Christopher Nolan may have been the only man for the job. Whereas other directors might have lost the story in the setting, Nolan allows both to shine, making the film a must-see experience.

4/5 Pitchforks

Tell the reporter if you're into intergalactic family drama at seweinst@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @S_Weinstein95.

×