Releases to look out for on Black Friday Record Store Day

black_friday_logo_hires
Image courtesy Record Store Day

Image courtesy Record Store Day Image courtesy Record Store Day

I never really get excited about Black Friday. Usually, by the end of Thanksgiving, I can’t fathom how anyone could be crazy enough to wake up in the middle of the night to get the perfect holiday gifts for friends and family. I understand that there are great deals, but I find it extremely difficult to work my way out of a food coma to get in line at the nearest Target.

This year, I’ve been thinking a bit differently. This summer, my friend bought me a record player, which gave me an excuse to think about spending copious amounts of cash, which I don’t have, on the greatest thing on the earth — Vinyl!

Unfortunately, I’d missed the official Record Store Day that comes around every third Saturday of April, but while in a local on Mill and Southern Zia Records, I noticed a flyer for Record Store Day on Black Friday. My initial reaction was something like, “Aw, man. Black Friday is the worst,” but then I noticed that Zia would be opening at 9 a.m. on both Friday and Saturday. I could get cool, exclusive records and not have to forfeit much sleep? Count me in.

I took the flyer home with me and circled some of the vinyl on my want-list, not unlike a five-year-old me with a Toys-R-Us catalog, and I’d like to share with you all some of the releases I can’t wait to get my hands on.

Miles Davis’s “Blue Xmas”

The first is a 7” 45RPM record of Miles Davis’s “Blue Xmas,” sung by Bob Dorough. The song pokes fun at the materialism that surrounds the holiday seasons. There are so many reasons I want this. First of all, I find it ironic that a song mocking commercialism is being released on Black Friday. Second, Dorough’s voice is more heavenly than all the holy angels of Christmas time; third, the record is blue. So cool.

Imagene Peise “Atlas Eets Christmas”

Next up is the first pressing of a 2007 limited edition CD, “Atlas Eets Christmas,” released by the Flaming Lips under the pseudonym Imagene Peise. I have never listened to the CD itself, but I have listened to the album on YouTube. A couple of standout tracks are “Do You Hear What I Hear?” and “Silent Night.” It’s great to see this get a vinyl release and I hope I can find a copy this weekend.

The Kinks’s “Muswell Hillbillies”

The Kinks’s “Muswell Hillbillies” released as a double LP featuring the original album, alongside of rare tracks and cuts from the recording sessions as well as recordings from a BBC session. I’ve only recently fallen in love with The Kinks, after hearing earlier album, “Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One.” Ray Davies’ songwriting on “Muswell Hillbillies” is incredible, using poverty the working class lifestyle as main themes for the record. This special release would be a great addition to any record collection. Soundtracks: "Little Miss Sunshine" and "American Hustle"

Lastly, I’d like to highlight two incredible soundtrack releases. The first is that of “Little Miss Sunshine,” which will be sold in “starburst yellow.” This soundtrack features two songs by Sufjan Stevens, original composition “The Winner Is” and, of course, who could forget Rick James’s “Superfreak?”

The “American Hustle” soundtrack will also be released as a colored vinyl, but it is a double; the records will be red and blue and the album will contain six tracks that weren’t included on the CD. These additional songs include “I Saw the Light” by Todd Rundgren and “Dirty Work” by Steely Dan.

So, this Black Friday, if you are a vinyl collector, think about heading over to an independent record store to support local business and get some really cool music!

Tell the reporter your favorite scene in "Little Miss Sunshine" (if you can pick one) at wruof@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @willruof

×