Democrat Kyrsten Sinema defeats Republican Wendy Rogers in 9th Congressional District race

Rogers Sinema collage

Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema was re-elected in the 9th Congressional District race for U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday.

Neither Sinema nor Rogers spoke to members of their parties at party election night events held in downtown Phoenix.

ASU senior Nic Parra, a supporter of Sinema’s campaign, was in attendance at the Democratic election night victory party being held at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Phoenix. He said he was pleased with the outcome of the vote.

Parra said he was glad to have someone in Washington who will stand up for the students and Sinema is perfect for that job, especially because she is an ASU professor.

ASU senior Kanin Purtz said Sinema will once again be a great representative and is willing to work with both parties to get things done.

“We really have a great member representing us who is willing to work across the aisle and she recognizes that she needs to work across the aisle in order to get things done,” he said.

Phoenix resident Joanne Woods said she feels the Democrats are ready for a big fight again in two years.

“There were so many issues that we are divided on as a state and I bet there will be more incentive on what the people need after tonight and I hope that keeps going,” she said.

Sinema’s opponent, Republican Wendy Rogers, lost in the 9th Congressional District elections.

Rogers campaign had sparked controversy due to one of her campaign videos, which featured a clip of video footage from the beheading of American journalist James Foley.

Rogers also gained public attention when she did not attend a televised debate with Arizona PBS, and did not give a speech at the Arizona Republican Party’s victory event at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Phoenix.

State Press reporters Joey Hancock, Emi Kamezaki and Shelby Slade contributed to this article.

×