While rum may seem merely like a trending liquor, it is a versatile drink base that is easy-to-us e and essential for a number of different theme settings (pirate party, anyone?)

This tropical liquor is made from sugar cane, giving it a lightly sweet flavor, and comes in a number of different varieties. Some of the most popular varieties are light, dark and spiced rum, and each have a distinct flavor profile and different suggested uses.

Light rum

(Photo by Emily Johnson) (Photo by Emily Johnson)

Light rum is the sweetest and has the most easily masked flavor out of the different varieties, making it the go-to blended beverage choice for piña coladas and daiquiris, two very popular rum-based beverages, and a perfect choice for rum beginners.

Drink suggestion: The Banana Daiquiri. While temperatures are dropping around the country, Arizonans know they can imbibe blended drinks year-round. If you have a blender and a banana, you're good to go!

Directions: Add 1 ½ ounces of any light rum, ½ ounce of a banana flavored liquor, 2 ounces of sweet and sour, ½ ounce of simple syrup (or a few tablespoons of sugar) and 1/2 banana into the blender. Blend until thoroughly mixed. Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream.

Dark Rum

Dark rum has a more distinct, yet still sweet, flavor and is often enjoyed either on the rocks or in drinks that highlight its complexity. Smokey and sweet, this rum is often used to float on top of other tropical drinks, such as mai tais and piña coladas. Try this drink with a simple mix to enjoy its textured sweetness.

Drink suggestion: Dark rum and Coke. This is incredibly easy to make and order.

Simply add 1 ½ ounces of dark rum to 3 ounces of any soda you prefer in a glass with ice. Squeeze a bit of fresh lime juice to taste.

Spiced Rum

Spicy and sweet, this type of rum is incredibly popular, thanks to brands like Captain Morgan and Sailor Jerry. It has a distinctive flavor profile, described by Esquire as “sweeter and laced with natural spices, caramel, or artificial flavors." This rum is often enjoyed with simple mixers, or even with tropical bases like pineapple juice.

Drink suggestion: The Mojito. This drink is a little tricky for beginners, but it (if pulled off correctly) will make you look like a bar-tending rock star. Also, it’s a 2014 trending drink, appearing in a multitude of flavors, so feel free to experiment and make a creation of your own!

Before you start, you will need to pick the leaves off 10-15 mint springs and place them in the bottom of a tall glass. Add ¼ ounce of fresh lime juice and ½ ounce of simple syrup to the glass and muddle the leaves, lime juice and simple syrup five to eight times to release the mint flavors. Next, add ice to fill the glass and pour in 1 ½ ounces of spiced rum. Simply fill the glass with soda water and shake the contents of the glass to lightly mix up the mojito. You can garnish with a mint leaf and add additional lime juice to taste.

Tell the reporter your favorite Mojito flavor at Samantha.Shotzbarger@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SShotzbarger.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepresson Twitter.

×