'Shady XV' celebrates 15 years of Eminem

Courtesy Shady Records
Courtesy Shady Records

Courtesy Shady Records Courtesy Shady Records

It’s been 15 years since Eminem capitalized on the success of his debut album, “The Slim Shady LP,” by founding Shady Records. Celebrating the record label’s quinceañera, the rap God released a double disc compilation album. In its 28 tracks, “Shady XV” pays tribute to the label’s past and is sprinkled with new Eminem releases.

Disc one starts off with the vitalizing “Shady XV” track. Sampling Billy Squier’s 1981 hit “My Kinda Lover,” the verbal contortionist reflects on his career. The song ends with him rapping a cappella, highlighting his rawness.

“Bane” is D12’s first label release since the 2006 death of group member and Eminem’s best friend, Proof. It’s an impressive effort, but Eminem is noticeably missing from the track, lessening its significance.

Teaming up with Sia and Skylar Grey once again on “Guts Over Fear” and “Twisted,” respectively, the emotional songs stand out: “Sometimes I wish that you’d just die / ‘Cause I’m too afraid of leaving / Dreams can be so deceiving,” Grey croons. The love-hate relationship’s message is amplified by Yellawolf’s powerful verse. Similarly, Sia's haunting vocals on "Guts Over Fear" are reminiscent of a wounded love.

Presumably about his ex-wife, “Die Alone” echoes this sentiment: “Now my head is overcrowded with these tired memories and I can’t seem to get you out of it / And how the f-ck do you sleep comfortably knowing what you done did to me? / Did it even occur to you that I loved you?,” his pained voice asks.

Still, his usual playfulness is not neglected. Bad Meets Evil’s “Vegas” is tongue-in-cheek gold.

Disc two is a mix of hits. From “Purple Pills” and “My Band” to the shamefully underrated “Fight Music,” it will please D12 fans. 50 Cent’s singles,“P.I.M.P.” and “In Da Club,” are also included. Disappointingly, the only solo song by Eminem is “Lose Yourself.”

The bonus track, the demo version of “Lose Yourself,” is the most rewarding part of the second disc. Longtime Stans will appreciate getting a glimpse at the genesis of the song that made Eminem the first rapper to ever win an Academy Award. The motivational spirit of the song remains, but the lyrics are vastly different.

While “Shady XV” could have used more Eminem and less various artists, it is still a solid release to commemorate the milestone anniversary. “Shady VX” is available now.

Challenge the social media editor to a rap battle at jurgiles@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MrsMathers94

×