Tempe police: Man tries to evade police by running up 'A' Mountain

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

An 18-year-old Mesa man was arrested Oct. 30 on suspicion of aggravated assault and being a minor in possession of alcohol, according to a police report.

A man and a woman, who were walking near Mill Avenue, told police that the man, along with two others, approached them near Third Street and Mill Avenue and asked them for money, police reported.

They told the man they did not have any money, and walked away, at which point the group of men followed them, according to the report.

The man and the woman told officers the group of men were swearing at them and making derogatory comments as they walked to their car, police reported.

The woman got into her car, and as she was driving away, one of the men threw a rock at the car window, according to the report.

The man and the women confronted the group of men, at which time one of them pulled out a 4-inch knife, police reported.

The male victim then tried to walk back to his workplace on Mill Avenue, as the three men followed him and repeatedly asked him to fight, according to the report.

The men fled the scene and were later contacted by police, police reported. When police approached the group, the man tried to run away by running up "A" Mountain, police reported.

A blood-alcohol content test showed that man had a BAC of .069, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked, police reported.

An 18-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 1 at Rural Road and Lemon Street on suspicion of unlawful use of a motor vehicle and criminal damage, according to a police report.

The man got into a box truck parked on College Avenue and University Drive, police reported. The truck was part of a crew aiding workers taking down tents following a Halloween event, according to the report.

One of the men got into the driver's seat while the other was in the passenger's, and the two proceeded to drive east on University Drive and then south on Rural Road before running into and breaking a lift gate arm, police reported.

The two admitted to taking the truck on a dare and called the incident a "stupid-ass prank," according to the report.

The driver was also cited for driving under the influence and civil traffic violations, police reported.

The driver was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Corina Vanek.

Reach the reporter at cvanek@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @CorinaVanek

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×