Tempe Police: Man tries to steal bike, eats all his meth

Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A Mesa man was arrested Nov. 2 on the 2300 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of dangerous drug possession, according to a police report.

Officers were called with reports of a suspicious person attempting to steal a bicycle, police reported. On-site security had already detained the man after a brief foot pursuit, according to the report.

As the man sat on the ground, he was surrounded by two backpacks, which the man told officers wasn't his, police reported.

When officers searched the bag they found a small crystal meth rock at the bottom of the bag, according to reports.

Officers then questioned on-site security, who confirmed the man was wearing the black and red backpack when stopped by security, police reported.

Security also confirmed the man took a pill container from the backpack, according to the report.

The man then emptied the contents into his mouth when security attempted to contact him, police reported.

The man was transported to St. Luke’s Hospital for observation, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was and booked released pending charges, according to the report.

A Mesa man was arrested Nov. 1 at the intersection of University Drive and Mill Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest, according to a police report.

The man was observing a large fight when he noticed his female friend being approached by one of the officers, police reported.

The man then went over to the officer speaking to his friend and grabbed the officer by the shoulders for a minute before letting go, according to the report.

The man did the same thing to another officer in the area, police reported.

The man stopped only when an officer struck him, forcing the man to let go of the officer.

When officers attempted to detain the man, he began flailing his arms and legs after officers advised him he was under arrest multiple times.

The man was ultimately detained, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, where he was held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Jessica Suerth.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or on Twitter at @SuerthJessica.

×