The EDGE: ASU football will rebound against Washington State

EDGE_quarterbacks-11-20

What looked to be a bounce-back performance from redshirt senior Taylor Kelly against Notre Dame may have been more of an enigma than the real thing. Since returning from a right foot injury Kelly missed three games and six weeks with, he hasn't been the same quarterback. Before the injury, he hadn't thrown an interception. Since, he's thrown at least one in each game. Whether this is the Taylor Kelly the Sun Devils have for the rest of the season or if he eventually returns to form for good, he should be more reliable than the freshman the Cougars are running out there. Despite two impressive performances in his first two collegiate starts, filling in for the injured Connor Halliday, Luke Falk is far less proven that Kelly. He'll almost certainly put up better numbers, but that's a result of the Cougars' dependance on the passing game.

EDGE_runningbacks-11-20Washington State hasn't had a true feature back since the mid-2000s and Jerome Harrison. When Mike Leach took over, he essentially abandoned an already underused running game. With the Cougars heavy reliance on their quarterback, it leaves much to be desired elsewhere in their backfield. Washington State passes on about 75 percent of its plays, and on the other quarter of them, it averages a dismal 2.2 yards per carry. The Sun Devils, on the other hand, feature a vibrant rushing attack with impressive depth and flexibility in the backfield. One player to keep an eye on is freshman Demario Richard. He's consistently had good first halves, only to be almost nonexistent in the second half. Last week, after gaining 37 yards on seven attempts in the first half, Richard didn't get another carry.

EDGE_widereciever-11-20

No surprise, the Cougars have a solid group of receivers. There isn't a Jaelen Strong among them, but there aren't many of his caliber out there. What the Cougars do have, though, is impressive depth. If you're going to throw the ball 50 times a game, you have to. Eleven Cougars have double digit receptions, compared to just five Sun Devils. With Strong still questionable for Saturday, having sat out the last two practices with a concussion, it tips the scales even more in the Cougars' favor. Taylor Kelly has yet to show a consistent relationship with any receiver but Strong (and running back D.J. Foster). It hurt the Sun Devils against Oregon State, which held Strong without a catch for the first quarter and double-teamed him all game. Kelly hasn't needed to rely on anyone else, but he might against the Cougars.

EDGE_offensive-11-20

It can be difficult to get pressure on Washington State's quarterbacks, in this case, Luke Falk. But it's more a testament of the Cougars' offensive philosophy than their offensive line. Washington State passes the ball about three quarters of the time, but it acts as an imposter of the run game, by using lots of screen passes and other quick-release throws. Todd Graham's blitzes shouldn't face too much of a challenge against the Cougars' offensive line, but they'll have to get home fast or possibly be an area Washington State can exploit.

EDGE_defensive-11-20

After being punched in the mouth by a surprising, brute force rushing attack from Oregon State last week, ASU’s front-four will look to right the ship against a youthful Washington State offensive line. The Sun Devils defensive line broke through for 21 total sacks in their last six games, a massive improvement from their first four games where they totaled just seven. With a near nonexistent rushing attack, the Cougars freshman quarterback Luke Falk can expect ASU senior defensive lineman Marcus Hardison (and others) to give him plenty of trouble in the pocket.

EDGE_linebacker-11-20

Only the slightest edge could go to the Sun Devils linebacker core due to their depth – but that being said, problems with tackling have plagued ASU defensive core in their two major losses this season. Redshirt sophomore linebacker Laiu Moeakiola has softened his impact since exploding for 10 tackles vs Washington one month ago, but defensive backs Antonio Longino (redshirt junior) and Salimo Fiso (redshirt sophomore) have pulled their weight at the SAM and WILL positions. Redshirt freshman linebacker Peyton Pelluer will start his fourth career game for the Cougars.

EDGE_secondary-11-20

The Sun Devils will look to throw their offense into high gear early versus Washington State, taking advantage of the first half absence of Cougar stand-out sophomore cornerback Daquwan Brown (suspended one half for targeting). Brown on the sidelines can only make things worse for WSU who ranks 118thoverall in points against, allowing 38 per game. ASU redshirt junior safety Jordan Simone, who leads the team in tackles (85) is fully expected to play despite participating in limited contact during this week’s practice. Simone, along with redshirt senior DB Demarious Randall, lead the team in interceptions with two each.

EDGE_specialteams-11-20

Just four weeks departed from allowing two kickoff return TD’s and a missed field goal in a 60-59 loss to Cal, Washington State axed their special teams coach Eric Russell and hoped to get things on the right track – they haven’t. WSU is the only team in the nation to allow both 3 kickoff return touchdowns, and 3 punt return touchdowns (two of which came in their last two games). Returning kicks is an area where ASU, and mainly senior running back Kyle Middlebrooks, has struggled. If there is any week to log that first return for touchdown of the season for ASU, it is this one. Sophomore placekicker Zane Gonzalez has made more field goals this season than WSU junior kicker Quentin Breshars has even attempted, and ASU sophomore punter Matt Haack had four punts for a 43.2 yard average last game versus Oregon State.

EDGE_overall-11-20

×