Veterans Day is celebrated with a special significance at ASU. One of the University’s most cherished alumni, Pat Tillman, served in the armed forces. His legacy reminds us all to take a moment and thank the military men and women who protect our nation. We’d like to further that gratitude by explaining how much we value veterans as our peers in the classroom and as members of the ASU community.

A college atmosphere thrives when people of diverse backgrounds and life experiences can further their education together. Veterans are among these valuable groups that don’t fall under the umbrella of those who attend college within a year of their high school graduation, or as some may call them, “traditional” students. For the most part, K-12 education is spent with your same age group who share similar life experiences, but college offers students the chance to broaden their horizons through meeting people from different walks of life, like veterans.

Veterans often make invaluable contributions to classes in disciplines ranging from political science to engineering; their life experience brings something new and interesting to the table. Their perspectives supplement nearly any discussion. Their service inspires us to recognize the value of our education and to maintain a grateful mindset for living in a country with as much opportunity as the U.S. has.

ASU recognizes this benefit of diversity and the administration has taken great steps towards fostering a place for veterans in our community. Active military members and their dependents are offered in-state tuition; those who have been honorably discharged are eligible for in-state tuition as well. ASU is also consistently distinguished with being a military-friendly university and offers resources like the Pat Tillman Veterans Center and the Veterans Upward Bound Project.

We’re supportive of the University’s commitment to providing a quality education for veterans, especially considering how difficult the transition from the armed forces to university life can be.

Veterans usually come to university more focused and more mature than other students; however, they also come years removed from civilian life. Being from a different age group and treading a different path to college, many veterans can feel isolated from a younger student body. Fortunately, ASU offers a course an introductory course geared toward student success for veterans; being among those who have served in the armed forces can help to facilitate the feeling of camaraderie that some veterans may miss as they embark on their college careers.

ASU has a lot to be proud of in making the University a welcoming place for veterans. We ask that every Sun Devil take some time this Veterans Day to appreciate not only the service of veterans to their country, but also their valuable place in the ASU community, in the classroom and beyond.

×