ASU men's basketball outruns the Rebels

Senior guard Bo Barnes nails a jumper late in the second half at the ASU vs UNLV game on Dec. 3rd, 2014 at the Wells Fargo Arena. Barnes's 11 points would help the Sun Devils to a 77-55 victory over the Runnin Rebels. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

Video by Marc Steiner | Sports Reporter

Down big early, it looked as though the ASU men's basketball team was on its way to its third loss of the season. The team roared back and then coasted to an easy victory.

The Sun Devils (5-2) defeated UNLV 77-55 in Tempe Wednesday, extending their home winning streak to 13 games over the last two seasons.

The Rebels (4-2) got out to a great start, opening up a 15-point lead seven minutes into the game. UNLV hit nine of its first 12 shots and outhustled and outplayed the Sun Devils.

After the rough start, junior center Eric Jacobsen, who led ASU with 16 points and 12 rebounds, said that the players relayed to each other that they had to keep playing the way they wanted to.

Senior guard Bo Barnes makes a jump shot in the second half during a home game against UNLV game on Dec. 3, 2014 at the Wells Fargo Arena. Barnes's 11 points would help the Sun Devils to a 77-55 victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon) Senior guard Bo Barnes makes a jump shot in the second half during a home game against UNLV game on Dec. 3, 2014 at the Wells Fargo Arena. Barnes's 11 points would help the Sun Devils to a 77-55 victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

"We just got to keep fighting and keep the energy up and keep playing our way of basketball and not get in to their sloppy play," Jacobsen said. "We just need to be disciplined."

ASU did just that, going on a 25-5 run that pulled them in front towards the end of the first half. The Sun Devils played great defense and shot better on the other end to take a lead right before halftime and went into the locker rooms tied.

Coach Herb Sendek, who earned his 400th career win in the game, said that he was happy seeing his guys respond in the manner that they did.

"Obviously we were really pleased with the way our guys kept their pose and composure when we fell behind by 15 early," Sendek said. "And they had the discipline they needed to stick to the gameplan."

Sendek said that he relayed a popular message to his players and, after the sluggish start, the Sun Devils reached a new level.

"We have a saying in our program, 'things are rarely as good or as bad as they seem,' so once we regrouped, from that point on, arguably we played our best game of the year."

Freshman guard Kodi Justice throws a behind the back pass at a home game against UNLV game on Dec. 3, 2014 at the Wells Fargo Arena. Justice would control the game in the second half leading the Sun Devils to a 77-55 victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon) Freshman guard Kodi Justice throws a behind the back pass at a home game against UNLV game on Dec. 3, 2014 at the Wells Fargo Arena. Justice would control the game in the second half leading the Sun Devils to a 77-55 victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

In the second half, ASU dominated on both ends of the court. The Sun Devils held the rebels to just 24.2 percent shooting in the second half and outrebounded UNLV 28-17 to coast to the win. Jacobsen himself had 10 points and six rebounds in the half, earning even more praise from Sendek.

"What more can I say about Eric Jacobsen," Sendek said. "He played post defense like he should be, and I mean this seriously, like a candidate for National Defensive Player of the Year in early December. He helps so much and in so many ways that you'll never see on this stat sheet."

Along with Jacobsen's double-double, which was his second of the season, ASU received big contributions from another Valley native in freshman Kodi Justice.

In his first start at Wells Fargo Arena, Justice, who missed ASU's last game with back spasms, scored 13 points, had five rebounds and six assists while not turning the ball over once.

"The one thing he has going for him is that he's fearless," Sendek said. "And when he does make a mistake, he's unflappable. He just has that something you can't give him. I think in today's popular vernacular he has swag. In a good way."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×