After living at home for 18 years, being able to move into your own space gives you more freedom and the ability to be independent. Dorms are generally the living space new college students will inhabit. Depending on your attitude, they could be the difference between freshman year being the best year of your life or the worst. With a positive attitude and adaptable sense of mind, dorms are actually very useful.

As a student, you are generally placed into quarters with people who share the same educational community. This opportunity opens doors for a person because you are able to create a strong bond with other people who are following similar career paths. Another great advantage in living within your own educational community is the ability to share notes and study for upcoming tests.

Dorms are also a great place to make new friends with other people on your floor, building or neighboring residential communities. Most of these friends will become some of the greatest people in your life with just a little walk needed to reach them.

The best thing about college is that there are people not only from all over the U.S. but also the world. Friends from other places with different cultures make a positive difference in your life because you begin to open your mind more. Those who do not live in the dorms do not always have the same opportunity to get to know these valuable people.

The location of dorms is essential for students, because they are strategically placed close to the classes most used by the residential community. This allows students to get to class faster and with more ease. Accessibility is essential to mornings when you don't hear your alarm clock and sleep in until two minutes before class.

Dorms also have community assistants, residential community student leaders and other groups who promote residential life and plan several activities that allow students to become knowledgeable about ASU itself and how to make the best out of it. The activities span from fun with movies to inflatable obstacles, with every activity offering free food, college students' two favorite words. There is always a promotion of local activities as well, such as happenings at ASU Gammage, Young Life at West or artsy events in downtown Phoenix.

There are going to be times when living in the dorms feels like you are constricted or the dining food is giving you stomach issues, but choosing dorm life is going to set a stage for a positive college experience. You are going to grow more independent and learn what's good and what's toxic for your life. You're not at home anymore, so budgeting money for supplies such as toilet paper, soap and food is going to become a habit. These are small steps toward living in the real world on your own made easier thanks to the safe community of a dorm.

Reach the columnist at Ryan.Santistevan@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @ryanerica18

×