Twitter reacts to ASU's switch from Nike to Adidas

ASU announced a move from Nike to Adidas Tuesday on Twitter. The move is expected to be made official, with Adidas signing an 8-year deal that goes into effect in July 2015. (Photo courtesy of ASU Athletics).

ASU announced a move from Nike to Adidas Tuesday on Twitter. The move is expected to be made official, with Adidas signing an 8-year deal that goes into effect in July 2015. (Photo courtesy of ASU Athletics). ASU announced a move from Nike to Adidas Tuesday on Twitter. The move is expected to be made official, with Adidas signing an 8-year deal that goes into effect in July 2015. (Photo courtesy of ASU Athletics).

ASU announced Tuesday that they would be switching apparel companies, signing an eight-year contract with Adidas that doubled the amount the university would earn annually from their previous contract with Nike.

The move, however, was not without criticism. Nike's rebranding of the university in 2011 became very popular with fans, players and prospective recruits alike. Many saw the move as a step backward, looking back at the previous Adidas era that ended in 2004.

Critics to the apparel change saw the move as a negative for recruiting and the overall look of the athletic department, as ASU is now just one of two Pac-12 schools who have their licensing under Adidas. Among the critics includes former ASU tight end Chris Coyle:

Coyle would go on to add that ASU's Nike affiliation was a key factor in his recruitment decision to come to Tempe over UCLA. The Bruins were the lone Pac-12 school with Adidas affiliation before ASU's announcement Tuesday. The former Sun Devil clarified his statements by saying the issue wasn't with joining Adidas, but leaving Nike:  

Despite the concerns, the response from prospective ASU football recruits was overwhelmingly positive:   Malik Lawal, 2015 three-star outside linebacker (ASU commit)-  

Jalen Bates, 2015 three-star defensive lineman (ASU commit)-

Khaylan Thomas, 2015 three-star linebacker (ASU commit)-  

Iman Marshall, 2015 five-star defensive back (ASU offer)-

Jaason Lewis, 2015 four-star running back (ASU commit)-  

Chase Lucas, 2016 four-star running back (ASU offer)-

"I love Adidas so ASU is looking good to me," Lucas added.

While nobody knows what changes will come once Adidas takes over ASU's apparel in July 2015, it is clear that their new contract instantly elevates the Sun Devils to the national forefront. ASU is now in the top ten nationally in apparel deals, averaging over $4 million annually.

The money from the contract is expected to contribute to several projects for the ASU athletic department, as it is currently renovating Sun Devil Stadium and is also in the process of adding men's hockey and an unnamed women's sport.

Opinions on the move remain split, and only time will tell how the Adidas deal pans out for the university.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×