ASU hockey tops ACHA rankings again

ASU forward Michael Cummings battles for the puck with Stony Brook's Joseph Bochichio behind the net on Jan. 22, 2015, at Oceanside Arena in Tempe. 

ASU junior Jordan Young battles for the puck with Stony Brook's Joseph Bochichio behind the net on Jan. 22, 2015, at Oceanside Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) ASU forward Michael Cummings battles for the puck with Stony Brook's Joseph Bochichio behind the net on Jan. 22, 2015, at Oceanside Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

The ASU hockey team remained No. 1 in the latest ACHA rankings released Friday.

Rounding out the top five are Central Oklahoma, Ohio, Minot State and Stony Brook. Central Oklahoma and ASU have been in the top five for the majority of the season, with ASU at No. 1 for the past six weeks.

This past week, ASU competed against No. 8 Lindenwood and Stony Brook. ASU beat Lindenwood 3-1 on Friday and lost 3-2 (1-0) in an overtime shootout on Saturday. The team returned home to dominate No. 5 Stony Brook in a 3-0 shutout.

Although Central Oklahoma did not play this week, the team kept its No. 2 spot.

No. 3 Ohio jumped up from No. 5 with after sweeping No. 10 Iowa State during a home weekend series, winning the first game 3-1 and the second 4-1.

No. 4 Minot State stayed at the same spot after dominating No. 13 Illinois at home winning 5-2 and 3-1.

Stony Brook is new to the top five this week after jumping two spots from No. 7 after sweeping No. 15 Delaware in a weekend series. They lost to the Sun Devils 3-0 on Thursday, but were still able to push up into the top five this week.

The teams with the largest gains (up two spots) this week were No. 24 West Virginia, No. 19 Syracuse, No. 16 Davenport, No. 14 Buffalo, Stony Brook and Ohio.

The next regular season ranking will be released Jan. 30.

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×