ASU men's basketball falls in power rankings

utahA six-game winning streak moves the Utes to the top spot in the rankings. Senior guard Delon Wright is playing at an All-Pac-12 level right now, averaging 14.9 points per game this season. In addition to Wright, junior forward Jordan Loveridge has given Utah a spark and elevated it to the next level in the conference. uaThe Wildcats are the most talented team in the conference, but a loss to Oregon State Sunday drops them a spot in the rankings. UA's two losses have come by a combined six points, so even when losing, the Wildcats show their might. oregonDespite a blowout loss to UA this weekend, the Ducks maintain a top spot in the power rankings. Senior guard Joseph Young might be the best player in the Pac-12 and his 19.4 points per game are why Oregon has succeeded to this point. stanfordThe Cardinal are an extremely close double overtime loss to UCLA from being unbeaten in conference play. Stanford is for real this season with the meat of the schedule impending.

osuThe Beavers have exceeded expectations led by junior guard Gary Payton II. Despite team statistics not being very impressive, Oregon State wins because of team basketball and defense. coloradoThe Buffaloes started off slowly, but appear to be putting it all together despite being dominated by Utah. Colorado swept its first weekend of conference play and has a chance to make a statement in Arizona this week. uclaThe Bruins had a five-game losing streak that crossed over from 2014 to the new year, but they have back-to-back wins for the first time since the beginning of December. UCLA ranks sixth in the country in rebounds but is one of the worst teams in terms of shooting percentage, which has led to the rough start. calThe Golden Bears started out hot but have lost five of their last six games to fall in the standings. Cal has four players averaging over 10 points per game, but inconsistent bench play has been the death of the team. uwThe Huskies had the best start for the school in nearly 40 years, but have fallen off a cliff since, losing four in a row. Washington has talent and a good coach in Lorenzo Romar, which makes it seem like they can turn it around, but back-to-back games against the Oregon schools won't help. wsuThe Cougars started as the least impressive team in the Pac-12, but two wins in the conference have them slowly moving up. Washington State has a chance to prove it is for real with a big stretch of games coming up this weekend at home against the Oregon schools.

usc The Trojans have been up-and-down all year, alternating wins and losses for most of the way. Scoring has been spread out, allowing USC to attack in many ways.

asu

The Sun Devils are not looking good so far, sitting at .500 and in last place in the conference. ASU has held leads late in most of its games, but can't close out games. A home loss to Lehigh in three overtimes and five losses by five points or less shows that the Sun Devils need someone to step up as a closer.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×