ASU men's basketball travels to Cal looking to build momentum

in a game against Pepperdine, Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. After trailing the entire first half, the Sun Devils came from behind and defeated the Waves 81-74. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Senior forward Shaquille McKissic goes up for a layup in a game against Pepperdine, Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Senior forward Shaquille McKissic goes up for a layup in a game against Pepperdine, Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

The ASU men's basketball team will be traveling to Berkeley to play California after defeating Colorado, where the team shot 55.3 percent from the floor, the Sun Devils' best shooting night since 2013.

The Sun Devils (9-9, 1-4) earned their first conference win in their last outing against Colorado, giving ASU a much needed confidence boost going into their bout with Cal.

“Winning does a great deal for a teams spirits,” ASU coach Herb Sendek said. “But like we do after every game, we have to quickly move on.”

ASU’s three seniors will play a crucial role in the game, with both their performance and experience, as well as their leadership roles on the team.

Senior forward Shaquielle McKissic had some words of advice for his fellow teammates.

“We have to play hard,” McKissic said. “We have to study the scouts, and just be prepared. It’s more IQ. In high school or junior college it's just you are bigger, stronger, you know more skill than everybody, but up here, everybody has that edge and guys mentally whip you all over the place if you don't come prepared.”

McKissic is ASU’s top scorer, averaging 11.1 points per game.

“These are must wins in my eyes,” McKissic said. “It would be awesome to go and steal a road trip and come out three and four. The focus and the hunger are at an all-time high right now.”

Cal (11-7, 1-4) has also only managed to snag one conference win, beating Washington 81-75. Cal is going into this game with a four game losing streak, after playing a tough schedule.

“They are a very good team,” Sendek said. “They have outstanding personnel. They have guys who can really shoot the basketball.”

Cal’s top scorer, junior guard Tyrone Wallace, has been a thorn in his opponents' sides all season.

“They have a unique point guard in Tyrone Wallace, a young man who is 6-foot-5 at that position.” Sendek said.

Wallace averages 17.9 points per game, and leads his team in rebounds, averaging 8.3. With a significant height advantage over most point guards, it’s no wonder that Wallace is putting up big numbers.

Senior forward David Kravish is another key player for the Golden Bears. Kravish averages 10.7 points per game while managing to grab 7.1 rebounds a game, the second most on the team behind Wallace.

“I think David Kravish is one of the better front court players in the nation,” Sendek said. “I’ve been a big fan of his all through his career. At 6-foot-10, he’s a terrific mid-range shoote; he scores in the post, and he's a relentless rebounder. I’m a big fan of Kravish.”

Sophomore guard Jordan Mathews is another potent scoring threat for Cal. Mathews averages 15.1 points a game,and shoots from behind the arc with deadly accuracy (44.4 percent clip from 3-point range).

The Sun Devils face Cal at 9 p.m. Thursday in Berkeley on Pac-12 Networks.

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or on Twitter @MarcTSteiner

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×