ASU's Tempe USG discusses state Senate bill for medical amnesty

Members of the Tempe USG listen to Senior Senate President Will Smith (not pictured) discuss the agenda at the Memorial Union on Jan. 27, 2015. (Daniel Kwon/ The State Press)

Tempe Undergraduate Student Government President Cassidy Possehl speaks during a USG meeting at the Memorial Union on Jan. 27, 2015. (Daniel Kwon/ The State Press) Tempe Undergraduate Student Government President Cassidy Possehl speaks during a USG meeting at the Memorial Union on Jan. 27, 2015. (Daniel Kwon/The State Press)

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly referred to SB 1190 as a USG initiative. The story has been updated to clarify that it's an action by the state Legislature. 

Tempe's Undergraduate Student Government discussed a state Senate bill Tuesday that would protect students from legal repercussions if they sought medical assistance while intoxicated.

Senate Bill 1190, authored by Sen. Kelli Ward, R-Lake Havasu City, is pending a hearing in the Senate Judiciary committee.

Tempe USG President Cassidy Possehl said the bill is necessary to protect students who require medical assistance, even if they are breaking the law themselves.

“If you are calling on behalf of yourself or another person who needs emergency medical attention, you are immune to any prosecution,” Possehl said. “You can’t get an MIC or MIP charge for calling, even if you’re a minor and you’re intoxicated.”

From here, the bill requires positive feedback from the Vice Chairman of the Judiciary Committee to push it onto the Senate floor.

“This year we’re trying to get some positive affirmation behind the bill from the Vice Chairman of the Committee, as well as the other committee members to push it onto the floor of the Senate,” Possehl said.

This is not the first time the Medical Amnesty Bill has been discussed. Last year, the bill got stuck in the Education Committee and never got moved to the Senate floor, Possehl said.

In May 2013, a 19-year-old fraternity member was found at Tempe St. Luke's Hospital with a blood alcohol level of .47 and a post-it note asking for help. His friends had left him there, and an action like Ward's bill could prevent similar future incidents.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow @SuerthJessica on Twitter.

×