Broad on a Budget: 'Reefer Madness' Smokes ASU Theatre Department

Photo courtesy of George A. Hirliman Productions.

Photo courtesy of George A. Hirliman Productions. Photo courtesy of George A. Hirliman Productions.

College is full of all sorts of firsts... some that maybe we aren't even supposed to bring to the attention of ASU administrators. But I guess we'll roll with it for the sake of information.

Mary Jane seems to make her way into the college firsts stereotype on a regular basis, and the cast of "Reefer Madness: The Musical" exemplifies just this. The original 1936 anti-marijuana propaganda film (and well known cult classic) served as the satirical prospect for the comedy movie musical produced in 2005.

Director Andy Fickman brought the insanity to life on screen with the help of actors and actresses like Kristen Bell, Christian Campbell and Neve Campbell. Starting Friday, it's taking center stage at the Evelyn Smith Music Theatre in Tempe via Student Workshop Productions for your viewing pleasure.

Opening night is Friday, Jan. 16, with a performance at 7:30 p.m. Showings run at both 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, with a closing matinee show on Sunday, Jan. 18, at 2 p.m.

Tickets are priced reasonably, at only $8 a pop — highly affordable for a night out on the town. If you're looking to save a few extra bucks and maybe even win the long term adoration of your parents, skip the Chipotle dinner and use up those meal swipes in the dining hall — no matter how heartbreaking it may seem — and go see "Reefer Madness" instead. Your wallet will thank you later.

Bring your friends and allow this tongue-in-cheek comedy to spark conversation between you all. Just make sure your comrades are or above the age of 17 — after all, it is a musical about marijuana. I'll be blunt with you: With religious parody, adult humor, suggested drug use, violence and sexual explicitness, there's absolutely no way that you aren't guaranteed a humorous night.

Send the reporter your best drug puns at Faith.Decker@asu.edu or follow @TheFaithDecker on Twitter

×