Cummings leads ASU hockey to back-to-back victories over Central Oklahoma

Mike Cummings wrestles with Minot State opposition for the puck. Cummings had a hat trick as he led ASU to a 8-5 win over Central Oklahoma on Jan. 10. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

Mike Cummings wrestles with Minot State opposition for the puck. Cummings had a hat trick as he led ASU to a 8-5 win over Central Oklahoma on Jan. 10. (Photo by Mario Mendez) Mike Cummings wrestles with Minot State opposition for the puck. Cummings had a hat trick as he led ASU to a 8-5 win over Central Oklahoma on Jan. 10. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

The No. 1 ASU hockey (24-3) team went into its final game of the weekend looking to sweep No. 2 Central Oklahoma (22-5) and sophomore forward Michael Cummings led them to victory on Saturday night.

During the last game of the opening weekend and its last at home for awhile, ASU kept the momentum from last night’s win from the start. Both teams came out strong and aggressive, with the Sun Devils ultimately prevailing 8-5 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe.

It appeared that ASU was going to be first on the scoreboard with freshman defenseman Ed McGovern's first great shot, but Central Oklahoma goalie Bretton Patchett returned with a solid save.

Shortly after sophomore goalie Robert Levin saved back-to-back shots, Central Oklahoma was first on the scoreboard again with an unassisted goal from defenseman Matt Prigge early in the first period.

Halfway through the opening period, the Sun Devils were able to capitalize on a power play after a slashing penalty was called on Central Oklahoma’s defenseman Cyril Meter. McGovern fired one from the top of the face-off circle off the assist from junior defenseman Jordan Young, tying the game up 1-1.

“Tonight’s goal was just keep it simple, get a greasy one," McGovern said. “Jordan gave me a sweet pass and I used the d-man as a screen and I found the back of the net there.”

UCO, back to full strength, allowed ASU take the 2-1 lead with a strong goal from junior forward Kyle Bowen off the assist from Cummings. ASU sophomore forward Sean Murphy and Central Oklahoma left wing Rylan Duley both received delay of game penalties shortly after Bowen’s goal.

With only one minute left in the first period, the Bronchos tied it up, with a screen on Levin leading to an unassisted goal from Bronchos forward Trevor Yee. Both teams ended with an aggressive first half and 15 shots on net.

It didn’t take long for the Sun Devils to take the lead. Within the first three minutes of the second period, sophomore forward Chris Burkemper slammed it in off the assist from McGovern. ASU scored back-to-back goals when Cummings came in with his second goal of the night off the assist from sophomore defenseman Kevin Newmeyer, giving the Sun Devils the 4-2 lead.

Following those goals, a slashing penalty was called against Bowen, giving Central Oklahoma a power play that they were able to capitalize on. Forward Travis Wellman and Duley both had power play goals in the middle of the second period, tying the game up, 4-4.

Late in the middle period, ASU was on the power play and not only weren’t able to score, but allowed Central Oklahoma to take the lead with a shorthanded goal from defenseman Brandon Formosa off the assist from right wing Brandon Harlet. Going into the final period, the Bronchos led the Sun Devils 5-4, despite the fact that ASU led shots on net 18-8.

ASU made sure it did not trail for long, as sophomore forward David Norris tied the game off the assists from junior forward Ryan Belonger and sophomore forward Faiz Khan less than 20 seconds into the final period.

Cummings led the Sun Devils in goals with his first hat-trick of the season, scoring his third goal of the night early in the third period. Cummings was assisted by freshman forward Connor Mailey, slamming the puck into the net to give ASU the lead 6-4.

“The net just seemed a little bit bigger tonight, everything was going in and the goalie didn’t do a good job of stopping it,” Cummings said.

Late in the third period, ASU ran away with the lead after two more back-to-back goals. After his penalty for hooking, Liam Norris assisted Murphy with his first goal of the night. Not even 30 seconds later, sophomore forward Eric Rivard and Murphy showed off their great chemistry again with a goal from Rivard assisted by Murphy.

The Sun Devils will travel to Missouri to play Lindenwood University next weekend and will be back in Tempe on Jan. 22 playing against Stony Brook.

Three Stars

Third Star: Ed McGovern, ASU defenseman (1 goal, killer defense)

Second Star: Sean Murphy, ASU forward (2 goals, 1 assist)

First Star: Michael Cummings, ASU forward (Hat Trick – 3 goals)

Additional Notes

- With tonight’s goal, Sean Murphy now has a 6-game point streak

- ASU secured it’s No.1 spot this week in the WCHL division standings with this Central Oklahoma sweep.

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @katlynewens

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×