Devils of Arizona State - Polytechnic campus

Air traffic management freshman Takeyon Michael Gibbs.
(Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press).
Air traffic management freshman Takeyon Michael Gibbs. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press).

Professional flight freshman Ryan Nolan, freshman. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press) Professional flight freshman Ryan Nolan. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Each week, reporter Ryan Santistevan shares the stories of a handful of ASU students found wandering around the University’s campuses. Here are five from the Polytechnic campus.

Professional flight freshman Ryan Nolan- "Just being on family vacations, as a kid, the airport was always the most exciting thing for me. So pretty much ever since I was young I knew I wanted to be a pilot.

"ASU has a very good aviation program. The weather is usually good out here so that helps for flying. And my uncle and grandma live out here so I thought it would be nice to live out here with some family since I am from Chicago."

Freshman secondary education D’Sha Burton. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press). Secondary education freshman D’Sha Burton. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press).

Secondary education freshman D’Sha Burton- "I want to be a math professor. When I get my degree, I just want to teach high school. Then after I get my Ph.D I want to teach at a college.

"I love being the boss. When you become a teacher, you can be the boss. I love when you teach a kid and see the joy in their face when they finally solve the problem. It is very inspirational and I want to change the world by helping children get the necessary knowledge to change the world."

Air traffic management freshman Takeyon Michael Gibbs. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press). Flight management freshman Takeyon Michael Gibbs.
(Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press).

Flight management freshman Takeyon Michael Gibbs- "I want to be in the aviation industry, but I didn't want to fly planes, so the next best thing I knew was to guide them. That's being an air traffic controller."

"There are only about 38 schools that have my major specifically. ASU is accredited for it, so that's why I chose this school."

Freshman education major Mackenzie Pickering. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press). Freshman education major Mackenzie Pickering. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press).

Secondary education freshman Mackenzie Pickering- "I've always been around kids and taken care of them. I really like kids and want to teach them. I only would teach elementary kids, I wouldn't go into teaching high schoolers."

"ASU is close to home and a nice environment."

Freshman professional flight major Kenneth Kiriluk. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press). Professional flight freshman Kenneth Kiriluk. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press).

Professional flight freshman Kenneth Kiriluk- "My father is a pilot and I've been interested in aviation. I want to become a corporate or military pilot when I am older."

"Being able to fly to all parts of Arizona is really cool. The program is awesome. Everyone is great and very helpful."

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter

×