Former ASU football linebacker Bob Breunig inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

ASU linebacker Bob Breunig was inducted into the 2015 College Football Hall of Fame. (Photo courtesy of ASU)

ASU linebacker Bob Breunig was inducted into the 2015 College Football Hall of Fame. (Photo courtesy of ASU). ASU linebacker Bob Breunig was inducted into the 2015 College Football Hall of Fame. (Photo courtesy of ASU athletics).

In the heyday of ASU football, linebacker Bob Breunig was the anchor to the Sun Devils’ defense.

Breunig started for three seasons at ASU (1972-74), which included two Fiesta Bowl wins and an overall 28-8 record.

When Breunig finished his ASU career in 1974, he was the school's all-time leader in tackles (353), with 145 of them in 1974, the season he was named a first-team All-American.

On Friday, the National Football Foundation (NFF) announced he would be inducted into the 2015 College Football Hall of Fame.

“Bob’s athletic achievements alone merit his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, but it is what he has accomplished off the field that sets him apart,” ASU athletic director Ray Anderson said in a statement. “He should serve as a role model to all current and future athletes, from middle school up through the NFL, and his selection to the College Football Hall of Fame validates and solidifies his place as one of the game’s greatest ambassadors.”

After his ASU career, Breunig was drafted in the third round of the 1975 NFL draft by the Dallas Cowboys, where he played his entire career. Breunig was a three-time Pro Bowler. Spanning 10 seasons, Breunig appeared in 135 games with 125 starts. He was also the starting middle linebacker for the Cowboys team that won Super Bowl XII.

Breunig was inducted into the ASU Sports Hall of Fame in 1999 and the ASU Football Ring of Honor in 2012.

Here is the entire 2015 College Football Hall of Fame class:

Nebraska linebacker Trev Alberts Oklahoma linebacker Brian Bosworth ASU linebacker Bob Breunig Millsaps defensive lineman Sean Brewer Pittsburgh offensive tackle Ruben Brown Florida receiver Wes Chandler Notre Dame receiver Thom Gatewood Yale running back Dick Jauron Michigan State running back Clinton Jones Washington offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy Michigan running back Rob Lytle Marshall quarterback Michael Payton Kentucky defensive lineman Art Still Texas Tech linebacker Zach Thomas Texas running back Ricky Williams Kansas State coach Bill Snyder Ohio State coach Jim Tressel

And finally, here's the list of ASU players in the College Football Hall of Fame, per ASU:

Dan Devine (1955-57) – head coach, inducted in 1985 Frank Kush (1958-79) – head coach, inducted in 1995 Danny White (1971-73) – quarterback, inducted in 1998 Mike Haynes (1972-75) – cornerback, inducted in 2001 John Jefferson (1974-77) – wide receiver, inducted in 2002 Ron Pritchard (1966-68) – linebacker, inducted in 2003 John Cooper (1985-87) - head coach, inducted in 2008 Randall McDaniel (1984-87) – offensive guard, inducted in 2008 Pat Tillman (1994-97) – linebacker, inducted in 2010 Bob Breunig (1971-74) – linebacker, inducted in 2015

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jjansen11

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×