The Kardashians may be Armenian, but Russia has been acting very Kardashian lately by constantly denying its involvement in Ukraine.

Russia’s most recent statement is, once again, denying any direct involvement in the Ukrainian violence because the two countries technically signed a truce. Any Russian soldiers in Ukraine are volunteers and no weapons or other supplies have been provided to separatists … according to Russia.

However, there is photographic proof of Russian military equipment and Russian soldiers in uniform entering Ukraine.

That sounds a lot like Kim’s denial that she has had plastic surgery or Kylie’s denial that she received lip implants.

The whole crisis began almost a year ago after Ukraine’s government underwent a revolution and Russia, seeking to take advantage of the situation, began to creep into Crimea, the Ukrainian peninsula that extends into the Black Sea, and into south-eastern Ukraine.

Russia had its supporters in Ukraine to vote in favor of annexing Crimea into Russia via sham referendum in March 2014. To which the EU cried, “Hey, you can’t do that!”

And Vladimir Putin said, “I am so credible and so influential and so relevant that I will change things. I am a god.” Oh wait, that was Kanye West.

Then, violence broke out between the real Ukrainian army and the rebel, Russian-backed forces in April.

Russia wants Crimea for its prime ports. It's believed to have untapped oil and gas fields in the Black Sea, and Russia could seriously use the money. Eastern Ukraine is also rich in coal and steel.

Like Kim’s claim that she didn’t marry Kris Humphries for the TV money, Russia has innocently claimed that they are only trying to support the ethnic Russian people living in Ukraine from the new big, bad, radical regime. Cue Kim’s ugly cry.

NATO, the EU and the U.S. are not pleased. Russia knows this and Putin has made it clear that he doesn’t care and doesn’t have any plans to end the violence, despite the international economic sanctions crushing Russia right now. Because he’s Putin.

Putin’s most recent claim is that the Ukrainian government’s army is not actually an army, because it represents NATO’s interests not the Ukraine’s.

Uh, what?

Such a Kanye thing to say.

Tell the reporter your favorite Kanye quote at enichol3@asu.edu or follow @LizNichols4 on Twitter.

×