Mirroring the Man In The Mirror

ENTER MUS-TIMBERLAKE 2 OS
Justin Timberlake performs during his concert at the Amway Center in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013. (Stephen M. Dowell/Orlando Sentinel/MCT)

Performer Michael Jackson is shown in a 1984 concert in Detroit. (Pauline Lubens/Detroit Free Press/TNS) Performer Michael Jackson is shown in a 1984 concert in Detroit. (Pauline Lubens/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Pop music is like superglue to the brain. It doesn’t matter if you like the genre or not, when Beyoncé comes on, everybody will sing along. You can’t forget those catchy lyrics even if you ask a genie really politely. Try all you want, but in the year 2056 you will still remember the chorus to Britney Spears’ “Oops!...I Did It Again," along with the dance you and your friends so proudly choreographed to complement it.

The genre has seen many changes throughout the years, but one thing that has stayed the same is the man attributed with its origin. Michael Jackson ushered in the age of pop at the start of his solo career in the 1980s. His wild success with hits like “Thriller,” “Billie Jean” and “Man in the Mirror” earned him the title, “King of Pop.”

Many big name artists like Usher and Beyoncé, have since then used Jackson’s influence to develop their own careers.

In 2003, Rolling Stone introduced “The New King of Pop” as Justin Timberlake. Timberlake wears a crown, but his work could not have gained such popularity without Jackson’s legendary groundwork.

Jackson and Timberlake mastered the art of combing rhythm and blues with pop music. They are also known for accentuating their high-pitched voices in their songs.

The two kings took a similar path to success. Both Jackson and Timberlake did not always fly solo. Jackson started his claim to fame as a member of Jackson 5. In the 1960’s, this band of brothers, most notable for “ABC” and “I Want You Back,” went from putting on talent shows to signing with Motown. Timberlake’s superstar career began with cool boy tips and studded leather jacket as a member of *NSYNC. At the start of their solo careers, they both had to prove themselves outside of their boy-band reputations. Both artists were in the prime of their success after they split from their packs.

Timberlake has managed to avoid a seemingly fated downward spiral that celebrities so often have. His biggest infraction was the wardrobe malfunction of the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show with Janet Jackson. In addition to his 9 Grammys, Timberlake won the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award in 2013. This is a lifetime achievement award given to musicians who make a profound impact on the MTV culture. He has maintained a successful music career, and he has also started his acting career.

Justin Timberlake performs during his concert at the Amway Center in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013. (Stephen M. Dowell/Orlando Sentinel/MCT) Justin Timberlake performs during his concert at the Amway Center in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013. (Stephen M. Dowell/Orlando Sentinel/MCT)

Unfortunately for Jackson, fame did not insinuate infallibility. Even a man with 13 Grammys in his trophy case is a subject to the law. The child molestation trial irreparably tarnished Jackson’s public image. The press hounded him until the day he died in 2009.

It is impossible to define what it takes for something to become legendary. For some, it is ASU’s football team scoring a game-winning Hail Mary in the last five seconds of their game against USC. For me, it’s the fundamental invention of the Internet. For Barney Stinson, it is just about everything he does.

Legendary people and moments shape the course of history. Naturally, the music industry is piled high with legends. Much of it has to do with creating art and entertainment that spreads influence amongst the masses. Jackson will always be the moonwalking man in the mirror who put pop music on the map. Artists like Timberlake maintain Jackson’s legend by creating pop music and attributing influence to him.

Send this reporter your favorite dance moves randrew3@asu.edu or follow @rachelandrewss on Twitter.

×