Not so Modest: a retrospective of Modest Mouse's greatest hits

Photos courtesy of Sony, Epic, and Universal Republic.

Photos courtesy of Sony, Epic, and Universal Republic. Photos courtesy of Sony, Epic, and Universal Republic.

Over the past 20 years or so, Modest Mouse has come out with some unforgettable, inimitable tunes. Distinguished through its lead singer Isaac Brock's aggressive voice and an arsenal of odd instrumental sounds, the crew has pulled the heartstrings of millions of alternative-music listeners. The latest single, “Lampshades on Fire,” can be heard on radio stations and is now available on iTunes. The song, fast-paced and original, is a delectable taste of "Strangers to Ourselves," the title of the upcoming album, debuting this year on March 3.

Here’s a brief bit on five of their boldest, most lovable hits.

1. "Dashboard"

Airing practically on loop across alternative radio stations, "Dashboard" was one of the band's most famous songs. It’s more pop than other tracks from the album "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank," giving it a larger mass appeal. “Dashboard” snagged No. 87 on Rolling Stone’s 100 best hits of 2007. The song has a solid, loud guitar playing behind Brock's unusually constrained voice. Although the lyrics may seem somewhat nonsensical, it is very catchy.

2. "Little Motels"

The soft indie lullaby that is “Little Motels” showed a versatility in the band when it came out in 2007. It is soothing and subtle, but the tone grows throughout, including a segment of typical Modest Mouse intensity toward the end. The instrumentals are dreamy with lots of reverberated strumming. A quiet tapping echoes through the slower parts, highlighting the slow rhythm of the song. Brock is in rare form, whispering lyrics that fade into the instrumentals like a methodic hum.

3. "The Good Times are Killing Me"

The album, "Good News for People Who Love Bad News," came out in 2004. With this album, Modest Mouse birthed some brilliant sounds including Grammy nominee “Float On." The album in its entirety has a more folksy sound and is split pretty evenly with mellow and rowdy bits in each song. The song starts off with casual chatter and voice warm-ups between band members, inviting the listener in the first five seconds. It’s a bittersweet tune, singing vulnerably and truthfully on the good times instigated by drugs and the detrimental aftermath. The song has a lighthearted sound and some tough lyrics, highlighting memories that were blotted out by recklessness and admitting to the damage these good times have done. It’s personal and delicate.

4. "Here’s to Now"

This song is dainty and buoyant. It sounds like the guitar is tiptoeing throughout the song, coming in quickly and often with the plucking motion of the guitarist’s hand. It comes from Ugly Casanova, a side project of Modest Mouse with a few different members and a few same members and the same front man. Ugly Casanova is a naked sound compared to that of Modest Mouse; the singing and instrumentals are stripped and unpolished, making the sound a lot more brassy. Ugly Casanova is raw. Their single “Here’s to Now” was released on the “180 Degrees South” soundtrack along with a couple other Ugly Casanova songs. The sound is very clear, un-muffled by any kind of editing. It’s short and sweet, with the strumming and singing so clear it sounds like Ugly Casanova set up stage in your ear.

5. "Float On"

"Float On" was Modest Mouse's first song to go mainstream. It's a modern classic, known by fans of pop and alternative. The lyrics are more than positive: they're hopeful. "Even if things end up a bit too heavy we'll all float on..." It embodies the band's greatest quality: the ability to appeal to many despite a wholly unique sound. "Float On" appeals to the indie-est of indie lovers as well as many top 100 hits fans.

With these hits and many more, this band has made its mark on the alt music scene. High hopes flutter across fans of the genre for the latest Modest Mouse album. Surely the godfathers of indie rock won’t disappoint.

Tell the reporter about your favorite Modest Mouse song at aerumore@asu.edu or follow @AubreyElleR on Twitter

Correction: Because of a reporting error, an earlier version of this story incorrectly described the Modest Mouse side project Ugly Casanova. It has since been updated.

×