This year Hollywood adapts a few favorite reads to the silver screen

Photos courtesy of Random House LLC and Legendary Pictures.

If you thought 2014 was a good year for cinema, just wait.

2015 is bringing all sorts of new entertainment surprises. From new albums promised by favorite artists, to new seasons promised by Netflix ("Orange is the New Black," am I right?), this year the stars are aligned for stellar entertainment prospects.

But the silver screen has decided to trump all, taking newly adored literary successes and putting actors to your book-bound protagonists, heroes and maybe even villains.

Here's what you have to look forward to in the New Year:

Photos courtesy of Warner Bros and Penguin Group USA. Photos courtesy of Warner Bros and Penguin Group USA.

"Inherent Vice" by Thomas Pynchon

This hilariously edgy read tells the tale of Detective Doc Sportello, out to investigate a lead given to him by his very own ex. Set in the notoriously psychedelic '70s, the film adaptation will feature none other than Reese Witherspoon, Josh Brolin and the ever-so-funny Maya Rudolph. The film hit independent theaters around Dec. 12, but is setting up shop in most theaters around the country at the beginning of the new year.

Photos courtesy of Warner Bros. and HarperCollins Publishers. Photos courtesy of Warner Bros. and HarperCollins Publishers.

"American Sniper" by Chris Kyle

Autobiographies give us an honest look into the life and thoughts of some of the most interesting people in the world's broad spectrum. But an autobiography about the top record holding sniper in U.S military history? Now that's something you don't pass up. Chris Kyle's gut wrenching story, after lawsuit, settlement and a little bit of insanity will finally hit the silver screen on Jan. 9. The book and film follow his combat tours from 1999 to 2009, allowing us insight to a side of war, morality and difficult choices that we seldom see. Catch Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller in this anticipated nail-biter.

Photos courtesy of Random House LLC and Legendary Pictures. Photos courtesy of Random House LLC and Legendary Pictures.

"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand

This New York Times Bestseller tells the true story of Olympic runner turned World War II Army pilot and eventual prisoner of war hero Louis Zamperini. His amazing and empowering story is directed by Angelina Jolie and stars Jack O'Connell as "Louie". While it may be difficult to watch in theaters, the book has touched the hearts of veterans, families and readers alike. You may find yourself feeling the same way.

Photos courtesy of Summit Entertainment and HarperCollins Publishers. Photos courtesy of Summit Entertainment and HarperCollins Publishers.

"Insurgent" by Veronica Roth

Set to premiere March 20, Insurgent tells the tale of Beatrice Prior, a girl who works to keep her society from falling to shambles when an alliance becomes faulty. Shailene Woodley makes a second appearance in another dystopian role, shortly following her debut in "Divergent," released early in 2014. Director Robert Schwentke promises to do his best to satisfy this book's loyal fans and followers.

Reach the reporter at fkdecker@yahoo.com or follow @TheFaithDecker on Twitter

×