Tiger Woods shoots career-worst 82 in return to Waste Management Phoenix Open

Tiger Woods studies the green at hole 9 at the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open on Jan. 30, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

Tiger Woods studies the green at hole 9 at the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open on Jan. 30, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press) Tiger Woods studies the green at hole 9 at the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open on Jan. 30, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

At the most-attended event on the PGA tour, Tiger Woods was the biggest draw in years.

In his return to the Waste Management Phoenix Open, Woods shot a career-worst 82 on the par-71 course on Friday and missed the cut. For the tournament, he shot 13-over. His second round had two double-bogeys, one triple-bogey and six bogeys.

“We all have days like this,” Woods said. “Unfortunately, you know mine was in a public forum. We take the good with the bad, and the thing is even on bad days like this, just keep fighting, because, you know, on the good days you’ve got to keep fighting as well.”

Woods struggled across the board. His greens in regulation was 10 percent lower than tour average and driving accuracy 13 percent below tour average. Woods' chipping also was an issue.

“It is mental to an extent because the physical pattern is different,” Woods said. "So obviously when the physical pattern is different, the trust is not quite there. I’m not bottoming out in the same spot. Yeah, to an extent it is, but I need to physically get the club in a better spot.”

In rainy conditions on Friday, Woods was at his worst. He said it was just part of the process.

"You’ve got to get out there and do it. Hitting golf balls is one thing and playing golf at home is another," Woods said. "Playing tournament golf is entirely another. I have to continue the process. I have been here before. It wasn’t that long ago that I changed my swing with Sean (Foley), and I was Player of the Year only a year ago. You’ve gotta keep things in perspective, and sometimes it’s difficult to do that."

The last time Woods competed at the Phoenix Open was in 2001. He roared crowds at the 16th hole in 1997.

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

×