Pop culture mischief: Suge Knight charged with murder, a legend returns to 'SNL' and more

MBR
Nominee Eddie Murphy arrives at the 79th Academy Awards at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, California, Sunday, February 25, 2007. (Hahn-Khayat-Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Suge Knight arrested for murder

A Los Angeles Vounty Sheriff's deputy walks past the area in the parking lot of Tan's Burgers on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015, where a fatal hit-and-run occurred. (Bob Chamberlin/Los Angeles Times/TNS) A Los Angeles Vounty Sheriff's deputy walks past the area in the parking lot of Tan's Burgers on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015, where a fatal hit-and-run occurred. (Bob Chamberlin/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Suge Knight, the Co-Founder of Death Row Records, was arrested on suspicion for murder earlier this week after being allegedly involved in a hit-and-run that killed one man. The former rap mogul was involved in a heated argument with two other men on a film set in Compton, California, before getting into his car and fatally hitting one of the men.

Knight has a history of legal troubles and violence that includes multiple involvements in shootings and probation violations, most notably when he was driving the car in which Tupac Shakur was fatally shot.

Tom DeLonge leaves Blink-182

Say it ain’t so! The pop-punk trio, Blink-182, will be without guitarist and co-vocalist, Tom DeLonge, for its upcoming headlining festival and the foreseeable future. There was initial confusion when DeLonge denied the announcement by band members, Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus, that said DeLonge had left the band indefinitely. It was soon made clear that DeLonge would no longer be a part of Blink-182 when Hoppus and Barker blasted DeLonge in a Rolling Stone interview, calling him “ungrateful” and “disrespectful.”

DeLonge is busy promoting new music for his other band, Angels & Airwaves, and will be replaced by Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio.

Universal Pictures releases trailer for Ted 2

The slapstick antics of the raunchy teddy bear are back! The trailer for "Ted 2," the sequel to "Ted," was released online Thursday and featured the familiar faces of Mark Wahlberg and Ted himself. New faces like Amanda Seyfried and Morgan Freeman will appear in the movie while Mila Kunis, the lead female in "Ted," is completely absent in the new trailer.

Seth MacFarlane also returned to write and direct the sequel after the first movie grossed over $500 million worldwide. In the sequel, Ted wants to conceive a child with his new wife but must prove that he is a human in order to gain custody of the child.

"Ted 2" is scheduled to hit theaters June 26.

Eddie Murphy to return to "SNL"

Nominee Eddie Murphy arrives at the 79th Academy Awards at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, California, Sunday, February 25, 2007. (Hahn-Khayat-Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS) Nominee Eddie Murphy arrives at the 79th Academy
Awards at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, California,
Sunday, February 25, 2007. (Hahn-Khayat-Douliery/Abaca
Press/TNS)

After over 30 long years of absence, Eddie Murphy will once again stand on the iconic stage that is "Saturday Night Live." The comedy legend has confirmed his appearance on the three-hour SNL 40th anniversary special on Feb. 15 which will also feature other notable cast members from throughout the decades.

Murphy left SNL in 1984 due to conflict and bad blood before making his last appearance on the show as a host promoting his movie, "Beverly Hills Cop." Murphy’s most popular characters as a cast member were Buckwheat, Mr. Robinson and Gumby.

Reach the reporter at zmoranno@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @thezackarymoran.

×