The Arizona Board of Regents addressed Gov. Doug Ducey’s proposed budget cuts by saying they were going to do what they could to ensure the cuts do not exceed $75 million.

Regent Rick Myers, who is head of the legislative affairs committee, said they want to change how cuts would be issued rather than based on student enrollment. They said they would prefer to decide as a system where the cuts would be least harmful to the system.

The Board, which met at UA, also proposed adding a requirement to increase the budget as soon as possible to “avoid erosion of higher education and stave off unnecessary cost hardships to the families of our students,” Myers said.

ASU officials reemphasized they would not be raising tuition for in-state undergraduate and graduate students, after the first part of the meeting was filled with students expressing concern about tuition increases.

During the meeting, the Regents also voted to authorize the use of revenue bonds to pay for construction of the first phase of Sun Devil Stadium renovations.

Julia Shumway and Emily Zentner contributed reporting to this article.

Reach the news editor at sgslade@asu.edu or follow @shelbygslade on Twitter.

×