Arizona holds atop power rankings despite upset loss

ua

Despite the loss in Tempe, the Wildcats still hold the top spot in the Pac-12 and should hold that spot until Vegas. This team just has too much talent to not to maintain its slot.

utahA win in Boulder pushed the Utes into a tie for first place, but the domination they faced in Tucson is still in their minds. The Utes control their own destiny to a bye in the Pac-12 Tournament and the way they're playing right now shows that it is promising.

oregonThe Ducks are riding a three-game winning streak that has them holding on to third place in the Pac-12. Oregon is on the road for five of its final seven games, so ground could be won or lost since no game is certain in this conference.

osu The Beavers rebounded with two good wins after a disappointing trip to Arizona left them licking their wounds. Oregon State is still struggling offensively, but if the defense continues at its near top-10 pace, it won't go away any time soon.

stanford The Cardinal lost a heartbreaker to UCLA to open last weekend, but a win over USC kept them from sliding too far in the standings. Two tough trips lie ahead as the season hits the final stretch and senior guard Chasson Randle will need to continue with his dominance to keep Stanford in contention for a bye.

ucla The Bruins notched a great road win but lost in the closing seconds to a Cal team that has suddenly found something. The inconsistent play of UCLA all season keeps them from being recognized as a top-tier team in the Pac-12 now, but a relatively easy schedule keeps tournament hopes alive.

asu The Sun Devils season may have reached its peak with a home win over Arizona for the second-straight year. On the other hand, ASU plays only one team with a winning record over its next four conference games, so the Sun Devils, who seem to have figured it out, could make some noise.

calThe Golden Bears were dead in the water just a couple weeks ago, but have won four straight games, the last two in resilient fashion, to remain in the pack. Cal goes to the Rockies, where it's always hard to win, but start the trip off in Boulder, against an up and down Colorado team.

colorado The Buffaloes continue to struggle from their preseason expectations, and lost the season series to Utah in embarrassing fashion. Nothing has really gone right for the Buffs in a season that started out with so much optimism.

wsuThe Cougars have pulled off a couple wins against possible NCAA tournament teams, so they have a propensity to win, but not consistently. As long as they're at home, though, anything can happen.

uw Five straight losses has the Huskies in a free fall toward the bottom of the conference. Things don't get any easier with Arizona on the horizon for Friday.

usc The Trojans continue to slide, losing their eighth game in a row Sunday. USC's biggest success of late was their National Signing Day class and the fans of Troy will just have to keep praying for spring ball to start.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger.

×