(Photo illustration by Ben Moffat/The State Press) (Photo illustration by Ben Moffat/The State Press)

In a desperate attempt to raise money for an upcoming conference, a member of the ASU College Republicans took a direct jab at Democratic members of the state Legislature.

James Malone, vice president of ASU College Republicans, drafted several letters directed toward Republican and Democratic members of the state Legislature.

See the letters to the Republican and Democratic members

Both letters seem to have the intent of generating funds for the organization to attend the Conservative Political Action Convention in Washington, D.C. However, the letter addressed to “Democrat Office Holder” conveyed a stronger tone of mockery.

“In the last election, the ASU College Republicans were active in making sure that you and your colleagues had a difficult time staying in power. We knocked on thousands of doors, and made thousands of more phone calls, all to alert the public of your policies that will increase the public debt, whilst still demanding families pay even more in taxes.”
Malone continued on to state all college-aged Republicans in Arizona were “thrilled with the results of the past election — while many of our dreams remain set to the tune of those i360 melodies, we still sleep all the better knowing that we helped make sure there are less (sic) of you in power.”

The letter addressed the College Republicans' impending involvement in the CPAC, blaming their lack of ability to provide funds for the event on “the 50 percent higher tuition we already have to pay due to the legacy of Fred DuVal.”

Malone said they did not contact the Democrats for money, but to inform them that Republicans do not “utilize the public treasury for our political causes."

“We ask citizens of this country to choose of their own prerogative to support us — we believe in choice,” Malone said. “We hope that you learn that if College Kids can solicit citizens to donate to their causes, that maybe you can give freedom a try.”

It did not take long for these letters to leak to the general public, most of whom were outraged with the tone of Malone’s letter.

Computer science junior Zach Josephson, president of ASU Young Democrats, became aware of the letter after a Democratic legislator forwarded it to him.

In an email, Josephson said the Young Democrats were disgusted at the disrespect the letters showed to elected officials.

“As far as we're concerned, the only intent of this letter is to demonstrate the Arizona State College Republicans' commitment to abhorring anything even resembling bipartisanship,” Josephson said. “His goal was apparently to make a mockery of elected officials and the political process as a whole.”

Rep. Martin Quezada, D-Avondale, was one of several Democratic Congress members who received a directly-addressed version of Malone’s letter.

“His ‘way of thinking’ (in the letter) certainly showed a disappointing level of immaturity and unprofessionalism,” Quezada said in an email.

Quezada said students looking to run for an elected position under the state Legislature need to establish strong relationships, one thing Malone’s letter has failed to achieve.

“Serving in an elected position or working with people in elected positions requires the ability to establish good relationships, trust and respect,” Quezada said. “Once any elected official, lobbyist or anyone who interacts with elected officials loses his colleagues' trust and respect, they become completely ineffective.”

At the time of publication, the fundraiser had accumulated $20 out of their $6,000 goal after one day of fundraising.

James Malone or any member of ASU College Republicans could not be reached for comment by the time of publication.

Editor's note: ASU Young Democrats President Zach Josephson is an opinion columnist for The State Press. He was not involved in the writing or editing of this article.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow @SuerthJessica on Twitter.

×