ASU hockey earns No. 1 seed in ACHA National Tournament

Junior forward Kory Chisholm is fouled by Arizona on, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Junior forward Kory Chisholm is fouled by Arizona on, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

After holding the No. 1 spot for the majority of the season, ASU hockey earned the No. 1 seed as they head into the ACHA National Tournament in early March.

The team will start their first defending title match on Friday March 6 against the winner of the No. 16 Colorado and No. 17 Buffalo matchup. All game times noted are Eastern Standard Time.

Full Bracket2015 ACHA Tournament

The tournament will start on March 5 with four games back-to-back. The first game will be at 11 a.m. between No. 14 Davenport and No. 19 Villanova and the winner will go on to play No. 3 Minot State. Then shortly after, at 2 p.m. No. 15 Niagara and No. 18 Robert Morris will take the ice to determine who will advance to play No. 2 Central Oklahoma. At 5 p.m. EST, No. 16 Colorado and No. 17 Buffalo with the winner playing ASU. Lastly, to determine who advances and plays No. 4 Robert Morris Illinois, No. 13 Illinois and No. 20 John Carroll will play each other at 8 p.m..

Following that busy Thursday, the top four teams will play the winners of those four games on Friday March 6. Minot State will start off at 11 a.m., then Central Oklahoma at 2 p.m., followed by ASU at 5 p.m., and lastly, Robert Morris Illinois at 8 p.m.

On Saturday, the other eight teams in the league will play. No. 6 Ohio and No. 11 Liberty will start the day off at 11 a.m. followed by No. 7 Oklahoma and No. 9 Lindenwood at 1 p.m.. Later that day, at 4 p.m., No. 8 Adrian will take on No. 9 Lindenwood and lastly No. 5 Stony Brook will play No. 12 Rhode Island at 7 p.m.

The winners of the games on Friday will go on to play the winners of Thursday’s games. These games will take place on Sunday March 8 at 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7 p.m..

The semifinal games will take place on Monday March 9 followed by the championship game on Tuesday, March 10.

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×