ASU men's basketball looks for redemption against rival Arizona

Eric Jacobsen

Junior Eric Jacobsen attempts to dunk against Oregon at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Devils were defeated 68-67 in overtime on Jan. 30, 2015. 

Junior Eric Jacobsen attempts to dunk against Oregon at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Devils were defeated 68-67 in overtime on Jan. 30, 2015. (Emily Johnson/ The State Press) Junior Eric Jacobsen attempts to dunk against Oregon at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Devils were defeated 68-67 in overtime on Jan. 30, 2015. (Emily Johnson/ The State Press)

The Sun Devils are looking to repeat history Saturday night.

After winning miraculously in double-overtime last season, ASU is looking to knock down their rival Arizona Wildcats yet again.

The ASU men's basketball team (11-11, 3-6 Pac-12) hosts rival No. 6 Arizona (20-2, 8-1 Pac-12), the second time the two have faced off this season. ASU is looking to implement what the team learned in the first matchup, in which the Sun Devils fell 73-49 to the Wildcats.

ASU enters this game after a heartbreaking one-point loss to Oregon which required overtime to decide a victor. Points off of turnovers is something that head coach Herb Sendek wants to improve upon.

“I think 15 of Oregon’s first 30 points came off of our turnovers,” Sendek said. “We have to continue to whittle down our turnovers.”

Freshman guard Tra Holder will play a pivotal role in the matchup against No. 6 Arizona.

“If you go back to where he was at the end of December, early January, and you fast-forward to where he is now, he's made tremendous progress, and it’s really a credit to his attitude and his work ethic,” Sendek said. “I couldn't be happier with the progress that he is making.”

Holder has been forced into a leadership role after teammate freshman guard Kodi Justice suffered a season-ending injury. He scored 16 points on 6-for-11 shooting, while leading his team in free throw percentage in the loss to Oregon.

Holder’s improved performance has not gone unnoticed, gaining praise from his coach and senior teammates.

“He’s really working hard to improve as a shooter,” Sendek said. “He's making good decisions off the ball screens, learning how to play pick and roll basketball better, and I think he's given a good effort off the defensive end of the floor as well.”

Senior forward Shaquielle McKissic also had high praise.

“I always told him, since the beginning of the year, one day it is just going to come on like a light bulb and you are never going to look back,” McKissic said. “I definitely feel like he's hit that mark.”

Arizona is on a six game win streak and looking to extend the streak in its bout with the Sun Devils.

Freshman forward Stanley Johnson is another young player having a major impact, averaging 14.5 points a game, an impressive feat for a someone so young. Johnson averages 47.9 percent from the field. Johnson can hit the 3-ball, shooting 39.3 percent from deep, but also has an aggressive inside presence. Johnson leads his team in rebounds, averaging seven a game.

“They are a ferocious rebounding team,” Sendek said. “If they miss a shot, that's just the beginning of their offense.”

The Wildcats average 35.6 rebounds a game compared to ASU’s 33.8.

Another player on Sendek’s mind is senior guard T.J. McConnell. McConnell leads his team in assists, averaging 5.8 per game, commanding the potent Wildcats offense. McConnell also averages nine points a game, shooting at an efficient 48.3 percent from the field.

“He’s a tremendous player. To see T.J. come on and do what he is doing, he is clearly one of the best elite guards in the country,” Sendek said.

When asked about whether or not the Sun Devils’ tremendous home win last season will be on the team’s mind, Sendek emphasized that they should focus on the task that stands before them.

“It better not be, no more than the game that we lost to start the conference should be on our mind in Tucson, this game will require all of our focus and concentration,” he said.

The Sun Devils host Arizona at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 7.

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @MarcTSteiner.

×