Big sixth inning powers Oklahoma over ASU softball

Senior outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio hits a three-run home run in the fourth inning of a game against Boston University, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. Caporuscio's home run contributed to a 9-4 win over BU. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

Oklahoma senior infielder Lauren Chamberlain rounds third base and heads for home after hitting a two-run home run against ASU on February 14, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. Despite shutting out Oklahoma for the first five innings of the game, the Sun Devils fell to Oklahoma 5-1. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) Oklahoma senior infielder Lauren Chamberlain rounds third base and heads for home after hitting a home run against ASU on February 14, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. Despite shutting out Oklahoma for the first five innings of the game, the Sun Devils fell to the Sooners 5-1. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

ASU softball could only hold Oklahoma for so long.

After five innings, No. 21 ASU (7-4) was shutting out the No. 4 Sooners (9-0), but in the sixth inning, they erupted for four runs.

Freshman pitcher Dale Ryndak had held Oklahoma for four innings after throwing three scoreless in the day's previous game, but was replaced by fellow freshman Breanna Macha.

ASU coach Craig Nicholson said he didn't want to extend Ryndak this early in the season by leaving her in. Nicholson also wanted the Sooners see another pitcher because they were hitting the ball hard against Ryndak.

"We kind of went into that second game with a plan of her going three or four innings and then get her out," ASU coach Craig Nicholson said. "It's too early to push her to 10 or 12 innings."

Oklahoma's Lauren Chamberlain, who is on pace to break the NCAA all-time home run record this season, led off the sixth inning with a home run to tie the game. It was Chamberlain's sixth of the season and 78th of her career.

The Sooners were just getting started.

Shelby Pendley followed Chamberlain's home run with a single and then scored on a single from Erin Miller. The very next batter homered, giving Oklahoma a 4-1 advantage without an out being recorded in the sixth.

Oklahoma would go on to win 5-1 after ASU stranded runners at third base both the sixth and seventh innings.

Early on in the game, Oklahoma was hitting the ball hard, but just right at ASU defenders.

Shelby Pendley in particular had tough luck early on. She doubled off her sister, Nicole, in the first inning on a line drive to second base and was retired on another double play in the third on a rocket to Ryndak.

Caporuscio’s shot powers ASU past Boston University

Senior outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio hits a three-run home run in the fourth inning of a game against Boston University, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. Caporuscio's home run contributed to a 9-4 win over BU. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) Senior outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio hits a three-run home run in the fourth inning of a game against Boston University, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. Caporuscio's home run contributed to a 9-4 win over BU. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

In ASU's first game of the day, the Sun Devils defeated Boston University 9-4, helped by senior outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio’s three-run home run in the fourth inning.

With the game tied at four, BU left fielder Emma Wong dropped a fly ball, keeping the inning alive. Caporuscio promptly followed the two-out error with her three-run shot to right.

"If you're going to be a good offense, you're going to take advantage when somebody makes a mistake like that," Nicholson said.

Caporuscio's home run was her second of the year, after having just two last year.

"I don't try to hit home runs, the power’s a sign of it but I do feel good, I feel powerful (in) my zone and it's showing," Caporuscio said.

Misplays from BU were the theme of the night. ASU originally got on the board without getting a hit in the first inning.

Junior outfielder Allie Butterfield led off the game with a walk and Caporuscio reached on an error. After a groundout advanced both runners, Freeman put the Sun Devils on the board with a sacrifice fly.

But ASU was unable to hang on to its early lead. BU hit two home runs in the top of the second inning, the first was from catcher Gabi Martinez.

ASU retook the lead 4-2 with a double from senior third baseman Haley Steele and a triple from senior first baseman Bethany Kemp.

Just like she did two innings ago, Martinez tied the game with a two-run home run in the fourth. Junior pitcher Alexis Cooper pitched four innings for ASU, allowing four hits, four earned runs (all off home runs) and she struck out two.

Ryndak relieved Cooper in the fifth inning and she retired all seven batters she faced.

ASU extended its lead to 9-4 in the fifth inning after a single from junior outfielder Jenn Soria and a wild pitch, and the Sun Devils would win by that margin.

Up next for ASU is a rematch with Oklahoma on Feb. 15 at 1 p.m in Tempe.

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

×