Cold War Kids stick to roots with Marquee Theatre performance

(Photo courtesy of Rachel Andrews)
(Photo courtesy of Rachel Andrews)

(Photo courtesy of Rachel Andrews) (Photo courtesy of Rachel Andrews)

After ten years of musical success and five studio albums, these piano pounding, tambourine-shaking musicians still put on a glorious show.

Cold War Kids enchanted the Marquee Theatre Feb. 26 with a lively appearance that reminded people why they are one of the best in the indie-rock game.

The night began with five-man band Elliot Moss. The band features Elliott Moss, 20-year-old multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and producer, from New York.

The group filled the room with their captivating, Alt-j-like alternative electronic vibe and a jazzy voice that resembles Chet Faker. The incorporation of a saxophone embellished a laid back jazz vibe that the crowd could get lost in.

The most blissful song “Slip” delivered silky electronic tones that made you crave a careless summer day. It was recently remade with Hippie Sabotage. The roller coaster set also features smooth Radiohead-like rock moments.

After Elliot Moss' performance, Cold War Kids took the stage for an hour of perfection. From the moment of the band's arrival, it was clear these performers are still in it for the love of music.

Since their 2006 debut, CWK has had style and band member changes, but never lost its bluesy and soulful consistency.

The only remaining original members are Nathan Willett, guitar and piano, and Matt Maust, bass. Guitarist Dan Gallucci joined in 2013 with the release of “Dear Miss Lonelyhearts.”

The group's most recent album, “Hold My Home,” debuted Joe Plummer on the drums and Matthew Schwartz on keyboard and vocals.

The amount of time they have played together was not detrimental to their performance. The band members' energy was playful and collaborative.

“The story of our band is much bigger than how it started,” Willet said. “The first couple records, we didn’t have a life outside of the band. As you get older and being a musician becomes a job that you work at, inevitably the songs are going to change as your relationships change. You do your best to be as connected to the art and let the art reflect your life, and then also try and have some life outside of it in a way.”

The performance of “All This Could Be Yours” and “Miracle Mile” kicked started the crowd’s enthusiasm, while song “Harold Bloom” slowed the atmosphere to a light sway but maintained the same crowd attentiveness.

Their song “First” is ironically the band’s first experimental step in a modern pop direction. Many indie-rock bands have tested these waters and the results are variable. Time is typically unkind to indie-rock bands, but if “First” is a preview of what is next for CWK, then there is no need to worry.

“It is a strange existence because there is no guarantee of permanence of it at all,” Willett said.

While embracing the new, the band also stuck to its roots. The night included a memorable performance from its debut album “Robbers & Cowards” such as, “We Used to Vacation”, “Hang Me Up to Dry”, “Hospital Beds” and lastly, the almighty “Saint John” for the encore. It proved that with the new style changes they made, the band still treasures it roots.

The night celebrated something in between old and new. Their classics will always be gems, but fans should prepare to embrace a redefined style in Cold War Kid’s future.

Cold War Kids doesn't let the seductions of fame change its roots, and the band hasn't settled in efforts to find and maintain its style. It is how they continue to create a fan base that has real attachments to their honest music.

“I think that we always have a sense that we haven’t quite done what we have set out to do, and that always keeps you humble,” Willett said.

Reach the reporter at randrew3@asu.edu or follow @rachelandrewss on Twitter.

×