Devils of Arizona State - West campus

Medical studies freshman Justin Visoso. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Each week, reporter Ryan Santistevan shares the stories of a handful of ASU students found wandering around the University’s campuses. Here are five from the West campus.

Communications freshman Jessica Skolnik. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press) Communications freshman Jessica Skolnik. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Communications freshman Jessica Skolnik — "I'm from Southern California. I wanted an out-of-state college and among the ones that I got accepted into, ASU was the one that I wanted to choose."

"I want to be a public relations manager for new music artists. I am really into music. My dad is actually in the music industry and he had a friend who does this job and he was telling me about how interesting it is, so I was like wow I want to do that."

Psychology senior Frankie Ramos. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press) Psychology senior Frankie Ramos. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Psychology senior Frankie Ramos — "I want to go into counseling. I'm still in the decision if I want to work with kids or families. Based on personal experience, since eighth grade, I basically had all my friends come to me with their problems and I gave them the best advice I could give them. So I would say I get a lot of satisfaction in helping people."

"I think for me, I definitely researched all four campuses before West, but I like the close-knit feel, and I've made a lot of friends since I transferred two years ago. It just seemed to fit. I transferred from a California community college to here, and it worked out pretty well!"

Forensics freshman Briana Bates. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press) Forensics freshman Briana Bates. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Forensics freshman Briana Bates — "I am studying forensics because I've always had a passion for science. In high school, I had experiences that made me want to do it."

"ASU offers forensics and surprisingly enough not a lot of schools offer it. For the most part it has been beneficial, there are research programs that you can join for hands on experience. I've already been accepted into one of them as a freshman. I am working in a lab with yeast, trying to make it flocculate, which means go together."

Medical studies freshman Justin Visoso. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press) Medical studies freshman Justin Visoso. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Medical Studies freshman Justin Visoso — "I've always wanted to be a surgeon so medical studies will get me there."

"I am from Arizona. ASU is closer to home and I love it. There's not that many people on West so there's small classes which I like."

Psychology junior Cassandra Hamza. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press) Psychology junior Cassandra Hamza. (Ryan Santistevan/ The State Press)

Psychology junior Cassandra Hamza — "I've always been interested in how people think and why they do what they do. We have Psi Chi, an honor society and club for psychology students. I am thinking of joining."

"I am a commuter student living at home so West is closer, but I really love the new college program. A lot of amazing classes are offered at West with smaller classes which are nice. ASU has superior programs, for undergrads especially."

If you have not made the trip to West, you should. The courtyards are absolutely beautiful. Also, the students are pretty rad themselves.

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter

×